Replacement Motor for Morris Mini Cooper S

Pembo

Hi all,

I recently aquired the green classic Mini and it is a wonderful model - however the motor is the fastest I have ever seen. The slightest touch and it's off which makes it uncontrollable (and I am well experienced with slot car racing).

I don't have a lot of experience with motor replacement, but I assume this is what I need to do?Does anybody know of a suitable replacement to make it more enjoyable?

Thanks in advance.

Pembo.

Hi Pembo - welcome to the forum!

Yes, the 'slim can' or 'FF' motor in the Mini can be pretty brutal. One alternative is to change the motor for something less powerful - searching for FF-050SH-10200 will give you something rated around 14,000 rpm at 12 volts, as opposed to the 18k of the Scalextric motor. Some enthusiasts will go for even less powerful FF motors, the FF-050SB-09250 will be around 10k rpm at 12 volts. Although the motors are quite cheap, sometimes they may need the shaft shortened so the gears will mesh properly - take precautions (eye protection etc) if you attempt this.

A simpler alternative is to reduce the voltage on the track or to the car. Running at 9 or 10 volts, the car will be much more manageable. The Scalextric ARC Air (analogue) and ARC Pro (analogue and digital) allow you to change the power to each car via the Max Power feature in the ARC app. It is a neat way of running these cars.

I hope that helps.

Hi Pembo - welcome to the forum!

Yes, the 'slim can' or 'FF' motor in the Mini can be pretty brutal. One alternative is to change the motor for something less powerful - searching for FF-050SH-10200 will give you something rated around 14,000 rpm at 12 volts, as opposed to the 18k of the Scalextric motor. Some enthusiasts will go for even less powerful FF motors, the FF-050SB-09250 will be around 10k rpm at 12 volts. Although the motors are quite cheap, sometimes they may need the shaft shortened so the gears will mesh properly - take precautions (eye protection etc) if you attempt this.

A simpler alternative is to reduce the voltage on the track or to the car. Running at 9 or 10 volts, the car will be much more manageable. The Scalextric ARC Air (analogue) and ARC Pro (analogue and digital) allow you to change the power to each car via the Max Power feature in the ARC app. It is a neat way of running these cars.

I hope that helps.

Thank you. That's exactly what I was looking for. I did see that the AIR allows you to customise the power but I like playing around with the mechanical aspect. So for now I will swap out the motor. Thanks for the advice, really appreciate it

If you are into the mechanics you can also look into after market gears to change the ratios. Just like on a bicycle a bigger gear on the motor shaft is higher overall speed and slower acceleration  etc... if you googl slot car gearing you should find a lot.

Scalextric cars use the standard 2.38 mm (3/32 inch) axles and I think most motors have a 2 mm shaft.