Chip for a Mainline 45 diesel

L757

Hi

I have an old Mainline class 45 diesel that I have found on forums to be an easy dcc conversion  . There is just the two wires. They recommend a Bachmann or Zimo decoder 

I have the select controller, I have read there are issues with this and non Hornby decoders so would the new Hornby R2724 be a good choice

Thanks

I presume you mean the R7274 4-pin decoder..........no reason why this can't work, just have to cut off the plug, unsolder the 2 wires to the motor and connect them to the red & Black then join the orange & grey from the decoder to the motor........don't forget heatshrink on the joins and test it runs in the same direction as selected on the controller before re-fitting the top..........however, you should consider fitting an 8-pin socket to future proof the operation. This would enable you to install running lights at some stage and give you a better choice of 8-pin plug&play decoders..........HB

R2724 is a loco......did you mean the R7274 (pre-order).

The R7274 is just a standard R8249 decoder with the 8 Pin plug removed and fitted with a 4 way connector instead.

EDIT: HB beat me to it this time.