TTS Decoder [Bachmann compatibility?]

Guest Chrissaf

HI   i am about to acquire a  bachman dcc fitted  wd 2-8-0 loco which ttc sound chip would i need to replace the dcc only chip . thanking you all for bany help

Your post as written lacks clarity.

If you are saying that you are buying a DCC Fitted loco by Bachmann and you are also buying a Hornby TTS decoder separately to go in it.

Then Yes, you would have to remove the Bachmann factory fitted DCC decoder before you can fit the Hornby TTS one. You can't have both fitted to the same loco at the same time.

But note this. Bachmann more often than not factory fit 21 Pin (MTC21) decoders. Whereas the Hornby TTS decoder is an 8 Pin (NEM652) decoder. So it is unlikely to be a direct 'one for one' plug-in replacement.

If the Bachmann is indeed a 21 Pin MTC21 socket, then you will need a 21 Pin to 8 Pin adapter as well as the Hornby TTS decoder to make it fit.

Something like this (purely an example).....subject to space being available in the loco to accommodate it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DCC-Concepts-----truncated URL

Very sorry  for the way i have typed in the query my mistake.  what i meant to say was  if i take out the dcc chip out of the loco and replace it with a TTS chip. Which class of tts sound chip  would i need for the   wd 2-8-0 loco as some i have seen say class A1 /A2 i am a bit confused as which would be suitable for the 2-8-0 

Thanking you all for any help and advice

The WD 2-8-0 is a 2 cylinder loco so best match TTS would be a 9F or P2 or Black5, whichever you can find in stock.........be aware you may have to cut off the supplied round speaker and buy a 'sugar cube' type speaker to fit in a suitable space.........HB

Howbiman is correct - you need a two cylinder loco for the "right rhythm" (though the P2 is actually a 3 cylinder loco so wouldn't sound quite right).  Other two cylinder locos where TTS decoders are currently available from some suppliers are R7143 Britannia and R7239 J36.