Track power

martin henry

My loco starts off strongly, does several circuits of the track, then slowly comes to a halt and will not start again.  After leaving it for a while it goes through the same process. I don't know where to look for the problem. I have carefully checked all the track joints. Can anyone help?

At a guess I would say you are using the basic Hornby R8250 set controller (Silver and Black). If this is so, then what you describe (unfortunately) is all too common on this cheap controller. The R8250 is just supposed to be a set controller just to get you started. It is not meant to be or designed to be a serious layout DC Analogue controller. It has very little power output and starts to cut out as soon as it warms up. It then resets itself when it has cooled down after a few minutes. This is classically what you have observed with your loco.

The only real long term solution is to invest in a proper controller. From the current Hornby product stable, this would be the HM2000 R8012. Or if you want something a little cheaper you could look at the basic single channel controller from GaugeMaster (GM). Second-hand, you could look at the Duette or Clipper from Hornby's Triang days, but these very aged controllers should really be certified as still safe by a recognised electrical body, and may be a 'false economy' plus they may not always suit very modern locomotive motors.