Damaged loco by repair shop

Ghostrain

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and hobby, so I hope this is in the right place. I have a bit of a repair problem

my wife bought my a flying Scotsman set for Xmas

I spilt glue on the cylinder block (cosmetic damage only)

i took it to my local model shop to swap out the part for new

it looked fine but after I ran it on the layout carefully for a few laps it cut out and the coupling rod on one side has been bent out of shape outwards like something was misaligned during repair.

my question is what could of gone wrong during the repair? I thought the shop owner would have ran it himself to check first. does anyone have similar experience ? What would you fellow hobbyists advise me to do?

i have emailed the owner explaining what has happened and asked what the next steps should be.

i feel very frustrated. :(

Sorry to hear of the problem you have.  As you are new to the hobby, are you sure you did not cause the deformation of the rod yourself?  When picking the locomotive up, the natural action is to place your hand over the top of the body and grasp the wheels and rodding with the thumb on one side and fingers on the other.  Modern locomotives have very thin rodding to improve their appearance but this makes them very fragile and very easily bent or moved out of position - I speak from experience!  Unless actually broken, mis-shapen/misplaced rods can usually be put right by applying gentle pressure in the opposite direction to that which caused the problem.

GS

This is not to disrespect you, but if you're not experienced with model railways, as GS describes, and others above, it's by far the best option to take back to the repairer.

The rods bend very easily if 'mishandled' - held too firmly, in the incorrect place.

How did it happen?

It is possible the repairer did replace the cylinder block and have it running without problem, then once you returned home, you picked it up, and SLIGHTLY bent the rod, which once the wheels rotated  could catch somewhere else, which refused to permit them to continue. The motor continued to power the wheels, and, there you have it ... 

Take it to the repairer and ask his / her advice, but DON'T try to continue running it.

If not bent too far, there is no reason why a 100% fix cannot be made without any replacement parts required.

Al.

Sorry that I couldn't reply yesterday, I'm limited to 2 as a new profile,

for some context whilst I am new to the hobby, I have a lot of experience with models and such, I always pick locos up by the running board and avoid moving parts.

the shop owner has agreed to fully repair at no cost, and seemEd genuinely apologetic for the problems caused. i think I was just very frustrated at the time.

thanks to everyone who offered advice about handling and what to do next, very appreciated.

thanks all