Hornby track accessories R574 - weathering

keithp1707821843

Personally, I wouldn't have bought these in the first place.....they are too 'toy like' for my taste. There is so much more choice from other scenic suppliers that produce more lifelike finished products.

But yes......it does give you a chance to experiment with proper modelling skills. I would research photos of real life rail-side huts to see what they should look like and try and replicate the finish in paint and washes with weathering powders to finish off. If powders are used, then finish off with a coat of aerosol clear matt lacquer to seal the powders onto the surface.

/media/tinymce_upload/b78dafe2b2d9f90a58d75c9bdc128f39.jpg

Why not look at today's post (link below) for inspiration.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/layout-progress-1-year-and-beyond/?p=3/#post-317337

A coat of matt varnish may be all you need to take the plasticy shine away

The wooden walls of the huts might benefit from an application of matt grey paint to represent weathered wood, dark grey or black would suggest creosoted wood. The door and window frames can be painted the colour of your choice, matt of course. The chimney brick work should be brick red, or red brown.

Telegraph poles being creosoted wood will be dark grey or black, with a hint of brown.  Insulators on the cross arms will be white not necessarily clean white. 

The body of the water crane and the swing arm might be grey, blue or green or left black. The flexible hose might be better in dark grey.

Gradient posts and mileposts should remain white but a matt finish.

Personally, I wouldn't have bought these in the first place.....they are too 'toy like' for my taste. There is so much more choice from other scenic suppliers that produce more lifelike finished products.

Out of interest who would you suggest as providing similar or better models? I prefer plastic rather than card.

I chose my words extremely carefully as there is a forum rule against active and aggressive promotion of products and suppliers who compete with Hornby products. You have to remember that this forum is not an open forum where anything goes. It is owned by Hornby Hobbies Ltd.

Therefore I am not free to answer your question. Look in any Model Railway mag for appropriate scenic product advertising.

None of my buildings are card. I too prefer plastic and also resin. Neither are they Hornby branded.

Thought people might like to see my attempt!

I painted the huts walls brown and the chimney a red. Then once dry applied a weak grey and added some more white spirit. I then added  a few more touches of grey. For the roof, I pained it grey and added some brown and white. Finally some odd touches of white here & there.

I am quite pleased with the result, as this is my first attempt. It is sitting on my first layout as well.

Oh I added some plastic for a window.

It will still need bedding in and I may move it once I have finished the overall scenic side.

Keith/media/tinymce_upload/19f9dc1d8b7e0ff2cc3d087f04cfb4c0.JPG/media/tinymce_upload/39021e73deec8b247ffafdf6254bf6d2.JPG

This is where an artists brush, and the relevent paint comes in handy. Mix the paint, and even thin it, and experiment on a piece of plastic for the desired effect.  You can add talcum powder to the paint for a matt finish, if you want to.

Rather time consuming, but once mastered, it will make your layout unique.

I've used Humbrol in the past,but that was on a Scalextric. Brushes as cheap as chips.