Controller Elite

RDS

What firmware revision is it?

The firmware number appears briefly on the LCD display during the power up sequence.

CV reading / writing was improved in a later firmware release. The firmware can be upgraded DIY at home via a Windows PC (not AppleMac), so doesn't need to be returned to Hornby for that task.

If the firmware is less than version 1.42 then I would upgrade it. The current latest version is 1.45

How to upgrade is documented here:

Updating Elite firmware

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/updating-firmware-on-the-elite

Alternative Elite firmware update method if documented method above fails.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/elite-bricked/?p=2/#post-264669

Of course, your issue may be due to other relevant things.

For example you haven't said whether or not you have previously been able to read & write CVs with your Elite. If you have never ever had any success then you might be doing it wrong.

The 'PROG A&B' output on the Elite might be faulty.

You might be using a Hornby Analogue DC power track (R8206) or power clip (R602) as the connection to your 'Programming Track Piece'. I take it that you are using a completely separate and dedicated programming track aren't you. The track power connectors need to be the DCC type R8241 or R8242. Personally, I would go one step better than that, and use a 'programming track piece' where the wires connected to the Elite 'PROG A& B' output are directly soldered to the 'programming track' rails.

The programming signal is extremely low power on the 'PROG A&B' output and needs a spotlessly clean programming track and loco wheels to get good reliable electrical contact. Just because the loco runs on the main track under DCC control using the default 003 address, does not mean that everything is equally OK on the 'programming track'. Spotless cleanliness is an essential requirement for reliable programming.

Note that any CV values that constantly return 255 when read. Means that the controller cannot electrically see the decoder.

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

The other option for the Elite upgrade, especially if your not confident in doing it yourself, is to send it back to Hornby. It costs £20 (inc.P&P) - I posted mine on a Tuesday afternoon, and it was returned Friday morning. If you decide to do this, ring them first and get a job number.