Sound fitting an 0-6-0

billy_bragg

Hi there, I'm thinking of fitting sound to a steam 0-6-0. I recently bought a Hornby Mallard with TTS and I'm very impressed with it.  I know that you can get sound secoders with speakers that are very good but also very expensive, £200+. I was thinking that if I get a TTS decoder with a similar wheel configuration, would it sound OK? I was thinking of putting a J36 TTS decoder in my Bachmann Pannier Tank. (I know there's little room for a speaker but I can change that for a sugar cube one for a lot less but it is DCC ready 8 pin). The pannier is already dcc fitted, that I fitted myself so I know there is at least room for the chip.

Also bear in mind I'm using railmaster and using a portable device a lot of the time so I don't have access to all of the sounds all of the time.

Would this work ok or are there some obvious pitfalls I'm missing. 

Many thanks for any advice...

I have recently hardwired a J36 TTS decoder into a Bachmann 8750 pannier and fitted a suger cube speaker into the bunker after removing the weight from it.

So the answer is yes it is possible.

Bill.

Wonderful, I'm new to DCC so good to hear I was on the right lines (and picked the right decoder as such).

Never thought of the space under the coal bunker though, will look into that.

Thank you very much for your help, I will be purchasing one very soon and will let you know how I get on.

The reason I want it in this loco is that it is a loco I have had for over 10 years and has never let me down, so I want it to be a part of my sound layout.

Thank you very much for your help.

Rob