Which quality of Hornby do I have?

Will Hay

I've just bought my tenth train and, unlike every other one I've bought, this has a beautiful brass drum inside that's attached to the motor and drives as smooth as silk.

This is a railroad version so I appreciate it's the budget end of the range, bit how do I determine quality vs price with future purchases and, assuming I'm going to continue to buy at the lower end of the scale, how do I ensure I buy future trains with the brass drum?

If anyone can point me to a brief guide of what different quality options there is I'd be grateful, or is it simply that hornby have to ranges; premium and railroad?

Thanks.

Quality means build quality not level of detail, a common mistake to make.  There are two ranges, Railroad which are less detailed models as a rule with simpler paint schemes and the main range super detail range.  If you want something to run as an everyday model that can stand up to handling etc then Railroad is key, it you want super detail fragile display cabinet models then the main range is the one to go for.