Help with trains travelling intermittently on track.

Sat n Jaz

Can anyone help? I have moved my son's oo gauge train track and now it's not working properly. all trains are working intermitently on the track - slow then faster constantly. There is obviously a problem but I have no idea what. The connections between sections of track seem ok.

any ideas?

Thanks

The contents of the 'sticky post' at the top of the 'General Discussion' forum titled

"FAQ - Beginner question........" might help.

If the track is a few years old then the metal rail joiners are likely to have become loose as well as tarnished (oxidised). If you have moved the track itself, then the metal rail joiners may have been also moved and are now not giving good electrical conductivity.

The connections between sections of track seem ok.

This type of loose joiner & tarnishing issue will not be evident just through visual inspection.

If you mean that you have just moved the whole layout as fixed to a baseboard to a new location, then you may have just loosened the wire connections between the controller and track.

Either way your issue is likely to be just a poor connection somewhere in the electrical path between the controller and the loco motor.

The diagnostic guidance in the 'sticky' post mentioned in the first paragraph above can help focus on exactly what & where the issue is.

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/