4-6-0 or 2-6-0. Black Loco.

Puffed Out

I'm after a pre-used Loco, and the title suggests the configuration.

This is from some memroies of about 55 years, or thereabouts, and all I can remember is the fact that it was Black, and pulled all the Cement Filled trucks from Chinnor Cement Works(Oxfordshire), through to Princes Risborough, Buckinghamshire and beyond.

There are images of Loco's on Google for the Cement works and Loco's.  But, they don't seem to fit the bill, but I could be wrong.

I know it wasn't an 0-6-0 or one about that size. 

There is a Black '5' LMS, up for sale, any further suggestions, would prefer Hornby.

Steam had pretty much finished on the Western Region by 1966, so it will have been at least 55 years ago. 

The Western Region used a variety of locomotives, mostly from the former Great Western Railway, but also British Railways standard classes too.  

By Autumn 1964 very few steam locomotives were allocated to sheds in the 81 group which included Old Oak Common 81A to Oxford 81F which served this area.

Of the larger freight classes there were eight 28xx/38xx class 2-8-0s at Southall 81C, and three at Didcot 81E, it is possible these were what you saw. However there were still a few 9F 2-10-0 heavy freight locomotives  including 92207, 92216, 92240, 92241 92245 and 92246 all at 81C Southall.which are even more likely.

There were a few passenger / mixed traffic classes which would be in green livery including Hall class 4-6-0, Grange class 4-6-0 and Modified Hall class 4-6-0, and a few British Railways Standard 5MT 4-6-0s, which were lined black. These were unlikely but not impossible to be working the cement trains.

A further possibility might be a 43xx class 2-6-0 nos 6367 and 7327 were still at Didcot 81E in October 1964. 

Hornby do make the 9F and some of the GW mixed traffic 4-6-0s and used to make the GW 2-8-0s, but you will need to look to other manufacturers for the 5MT and the 43xx.

It could be the Hall class, or 2-6-2.........just cannot remember.!

I know it had great pulling power, as the trucks and then wagons were filled with Lime and cement. The amount it pulled was quite staggering and seemed never ending.

Truck after truck would wend it's way onto the mainline going south.

I think I'll need to find out more, before taking the plunge.

Thanks @Tony57.

That branch line went further into Oxfordshire as far as Watlington. Oxon.

I've never been to Didcot, so didn't see anythiing there. 😀......Definately P.Risborough though.!

Hmmmm.!!.........https://www.chinnorrailway.co.uk/article.php/146/5526

Modern Hornby Black 5's (very generally, as all boiler options have been covered) come in '2 flavours'.

Railroad, which would be closest to the old originals I suppose, but still they're loco drive.

Super Detail, which I really like, being a Stanier fan - but the super detailing can be a bit of a pain if you're not careful!! Very smooth runners as well.

Al.

Hi Puffed Out

Good loco the Class 61XX,.

I think the loco's you saw might have been Class 72XX 2 8 2T, 1 of my referance books Engine Sheds of the GWR in 1947 lists that 5 class 72XX 2 8 2t where based at Didcot. No others were base in the London Division

Being a newbie(an old aged one), I'm not up to speed yet with all the models and there foibles.  But when I see one I like, I'll try a buy it.  Some of what I bought are from memory as a kid at my local Railway Station.  I never got close to becoming an 'anorak'. Not that bothered whether Loco or Tender driven items.

Just about to send one off for a service, Duchess of Abercorn needs it, so it'll be off to Scalespeed.  If that comes back with a decent turn of speed and relaibility, there'll be others to follow.

Loved Castles and Kings flying through on the mainline, 'double headers' and and all.

The Class 61XX is either the closest from memory, or the acrtual one I remember. 

@ Puffed out,

I am very interested in your post as I used to do some voluntry work on the C&PRR in the late 1980s and 1990 and remember being told that the sharp curve near Thame Junction (The point where the Watlington branch diverted from the line to Oxford via Thamer) used to cause problems with longer wheelbased locos. Did you actually see the loco on the branch beyond Thame Junction or could it have picked up the train between Thame Junction and Risborough?

Looking at pictures on the netit seem that they may have had a small prarie during the preservation era so I suppose that could be a possibility.

You might also like to write to the Chinnor & Prince's Risborough Railway to see if anyone there has any information.

@81F.

No, as kiddie all I saw was the Loco coming off the branch line and then heading south on the main line. At one time it was pulling plank trucks with lime, then later in years, Cement wagons full of Chinnor Cement.  They seemed never ending, those trucks and wagons.

I'm not sure if East Brothers (of P.Risborough) supplied any coal to Chinnor cement works.  They always had wagons in the sidings, and not surprisingly, the East brothers delivered coal to my home when I was a lad. I think they also supplied the Gas Works in P.Risborough.

I follow the Ch.&P.R.R. on FaceBook. I never get the time to visit Chinnor, nor Quainton,(which isn't that far either), living abroad curtails the time I spend with my family in England.

Hi Puffed out

Your ask sort of sparked my interest so I went mad and brought a book titled the Branch lines of Oxfordshire by Colin Maggs, Good read it covered the Watlington branch line and there are several paragraphs on the Chinnor Cement Works. The only locos that worked the line in the later period were Class 57XX and Class 74XX Pannier tanks and a Class 14XX 0 4 2t all from Slough Locomotive Shed. .

Looks like I/we were on  the money, I do remember clearly the Pannier Tanker in Black(British Rail), the Class 14, was the problem for my memory, again in Black.

Now I have them both they need to changed to BR. Black livery.

The Panier had a good longevity, it carried huffing and puffing on the branch line to Aylesbury and back with 2 coaches, as well as a bit of shunting.. Eventually lost the battle to those stinking ol' green Muliple Units.

Thanks for the clarication.  @Tony57.

@WTD.

I still am pretty sure that the Class 61XX was the one which took the wagons and trucks on their final journey. Perhaps the other two were shunting the wagons into the sidings at P.Risborough Station.

I can't see the the other 2 loco's pulling that lot away, with all those trucks and wagons fully loaded, with the amount of fuel/coal they carried.

Memory is a funny old thing, so I can't be 100% sure.

According to my book Chinnor cement works between 1956 - 68 reqired 400 wagons of coal a month (5,200 tons) plus 100 wagons a month of Gypsum  from Kegworth in Nottinghamshire. It also says the run around loop at Chinnor could hold only 20 wagons at a time any train bigger than this would be split at Princes Risborough.

I will have to study my other book Branchlines of Buckinghamshire a bit more as the line going through Princes Risborough was jointly owned by GWR and Great Central, so all manor of locos could have brought trains to the junction feeding Chinnor Cement works.

I have an aerial photo of Princes Risborough Station, this was taken just after they tore up the up-line to Birmingham.  Most of the goods yard sidings are gone.(Today, they are the car parking places).

To the side of  the down line is rather large siding, plus a some smaller ones, including what I called Platform 4 from Chinnor. (Platform 3, being the up line to B/Ham). Platform 1, the downline, Platform 4, being the halting siding for trains from Aylesbury,(which would also split to the downline).  (All platforms numbers were for my understanding of them, not GWR & BR's definition, I'm sure)

I'm sure I put a photo of it on this website, somewhere.?