Help with Hitachi Hornby Visitor Centre Javelin

Class of 61

I'm an oldie, but a newbie to this forum & would like your assistance. I took delivery of a brand spanking new DCC ready Hitachi Class 395 Hornby Visitor centre train pack, plus the extra two carraige pack last week. I also have two, six car Sir Chris Hoy Javelin train packs, & a fourteen coach Eurostar. I have a DC layout & all trains & locos work & run perfectly, apart from the HVC. It runs smooth in both directions, but very very slow, even without hauling any other carriages. In fact my 54 year old Triang Britannica class loco is faster & the two Chris Hoy Javelins leave it for dust, it should be rebranded low speed instead of High Speed!! I have looked over it, & everything looks okay pickups/worm gear/free running wheels axles etc, but not taken it apart as I most probaly will request/demand a replacement. Has any one who has the HVC experienced the same issue, or as I suspect have been landed with a Friday afternoon/Monday morning power car? as the vendor is saying it was tested before despatch & was working fine.

Cheers Mark 😢

Is the motor running slowly or the loco running slowly (in other words, are the driving wheels slipping)?

I have an Oxford Rail Dean Goods that needs more power than I would like to run at anything like a normal speed but I am told that it is geared to run at a "realistic" speed.

Definitely do not take the model apart before trying to get a replacement.

DC chips usually mean that a loco requires more power to run but yours is DCC ready so that does not apply.

I wonder if the motor is "below par".

I hope you sort it out. Please can you keep us all updated?

By the way, I almost without exception find that Hornby models run well from new. It is those from other manufacturers that improve with running. However, it is always recommended to run a model on its own for a few minutes before asking it to pull a load. I usually try to aim for a total of about half an hour in short stints of about 5 to 10 minutes.

I always run in - check bolts and little touch of oil on bearings (should NOT be necessary on a brand new set, but older models, a once over is essential).

Very curious.

Is the motor revving, but it's not moving much - loose motor bracket, worn gear?

Are the drivers spinning?

Is this one-bogie-powered with traction tyres? Are the tyres dislodged - dragging against the bogie? Don't see how but never know ...

Have the tyres been removed, hence the possibility of spinning / no traction?

Al.

Apologise for not replying sooner as replys/posts are restricted being a newbie for 24hrs. Thankyou all for your replies & suggestions.Traction tyres have not been removed, no loss of traction. Using the correct curves ie minimun 2nd radius. The motor in the HVC sounds exactly the same as both the Chris Hoy power cars when their speed is reduced to match its. It has been gently run in also. I would say the Chris Hoy power cars are at least double the speed, its as if the power of the motor has been restricted. The vendor has been in touch with Hornby customer service & awaiting their response. I will be contacting them too. Thanks again Mark

Very strange.

I've had some Hornby motors which don't rev anything like that of the others.

Can you hear the pitch - not asking if it's middle C or anything - and at the same 'matched speed', Sir Chris sounds the same pitch at the same speed?

Doubtful but just wondering if Hornby tinkered with the gearing.

Al.

• 2 weeks later...

Good evening all

I recieved a reply from hornby technical services team today. They confirmed that the motor in the HVP has not been altered to previous versions, & should produce similar, if not the same performance as the Chris Hoy power cars.

I have returned the offending HVP power car back to the company I purchased it from for testing, which was delivered today. 

Hopefully it will be replaced.

Mark