TTS sound, Dynamis Pro Box, and F17

FrankIsWFH

Just trying out my J36 on a test rig using my old Dynamis EzCommand with Pro Box. Blimey it's loud!

One (fairly major) problem. I can't seem to get the "chuff" sound to work - as you turn on some speed I get the startup sound, but no chuff whatsoever - it just seems to go straight to what I assume is the "cruise" sound. The F17 toggle doesn't make any difference.

Any ideas?

Try a decoder reset by writing either value 5 (sound only) or value 8 (total reset) to CV8, if the EZ supports writing to CVs.

The other things to look at (controller dependant) are:

Are you on 128 speed steps

Are CVs 3 & 4 set to a minimum value of 15.

Try a decoder reset by writing either value 5 (sound only) or value 8 (total reset) to CV8, if the EZ supports writing to CVs.

The other things to look at (controller dependant) are:

Are you on 128 speed steps

Are CVs 3 & 4 set to a minimum value of 15.

Tried all these, still no joy. As you head off, it does the steam exhaust, but still no "chuff". I wonder if it's a command station problem, rather than decoder.

We won’t know that until you try it with another make controller. Any chance you could visit a local model shop or model railway club to confirm. At least then you know where the problem is.

BTW - Hornby does test it’s decoders with a wide range of other make DCC controllers, same as it tests it‘s DCC controller firmware updates with a wide range of other make decoders, you could maybe ask HCC if they could checkwith R&D if Dynamis is one of those.

Something just sprung to mind. You say you are testing on a test rig. Does this test rig have a motor as steam TTS needs bemf from the motor turning to work the chuffs correctly.

If not then you will not get a chuff only the cylinder blow down. I can confirm this as I had my Coronation tender only on the new layouty as a test mule and although everything else worked from a sound viewpoint there was no chuff on throttle up as there was no loco to provide bemf.

Something just sprung to mind. You say you are testing on a test rig. Does this test rig have a motor as steam TTS needs bemf from the motor turning to work the chuffs correctly.

If not then you will not get a chuff only the cylinder blow down. I can confirm this as I had my Coronation tender only on the new layouty as a test mule and although everything else worked from a sound viewpoint there was no chuff on throttle up as there was no loco to provide bemf.

Genius thought! I was on the Merg test rig, will install in a loco and have another go. Thanks again!

That’s good. Another satisfied customer.

For info Hornby has a Dynamis but not the ProBox which I believe is to enable service mode programming.

Also for info a diesel TTS would have worked on your test rig as it does not rely on BEMF.

You may lime to look at hanging a motor on your Merg rig.