Clipper controller

Triumphman

I have used these for years, both Clipper and Duette, experience same as WtD friend.

Half wave can cause a motor to get hot if used for extended periods and sometimes buzzes. I won't use it and set the switch to full wave. Intended for shunting, but found it unsatisfactory.

High resistance will reduce the top end power, it reduces the maximum power that the rheostat will put out. Can help with excessively lively motors! Modern locos should be OK on low resistance. 

Brilliant controller in its day, but now vastly outdated by modern DC controllers.

However I use one to power a rolling road when I have a DC only loco arrive that needs running in or servicing etc.

The High/Low resistance setting is to suit the loco and motor and is used normally for slow shunting control. So use one for shunting and the other for main line duties You will note the difference when either is selected by the larger or smaller amount of speed knob travel needed.

Half and Full wave was used to get a sticky motor turning by introducing a sort of pulse DC (Half wave rectification) to the motor. I would not use this today keeping the switch firmly in the Full wave position.

For full time layout use I would recommend purchasing a new (or a quality) secondhand DC controller  Some makes offer a lifetime warranty, even if purchased secondhand!

I have two that work fine, I don't have a lot of modern locos but haven't had any problems. I would not use the half wave as stated above anymore. It was OK for the more powerful motors in the past but is noisy and caused the motors to Get very hot.

Are you sure yours is OK If you have just acquired it or not used it for a while? I bought a second hand one off a friend when I was in school in the the 1970s so it would have been fairly new but it made an odd noise when I plugged it in. Our Physics teacher tested it and it had mains voltage at the controlled 12v DC output. That could have been nasty if I'd taken it home without plugging it in and having someone to test it. At the least it could have fried one of my locos. 

I have used both the Clipper and the Duette without any problems for a variety of new and older Hornby, Triang, Lima and Bachmann locos. Switching to "Low Resistance" for short periods has speeded up some locos on the more distant (and maybe less-well powered) parts of the layout) when they have been sluggish.

I like these built-like-a-tank H&M controllers for their more handlable dials and alternative power settings. But I am not an expert on the finer points of electronics so I will pass on the question of safety. 😛