Harry Potter Hall TTS Sound - Light always on!

Nictor

Bought the latest Harry Potter Hall loco. TTS sound. Happy with it bar one thing. The headlight is always on. Is this just mine or are they all like that. I'd have thought it would operate off the DCC chip but mine does not, its always on.

If F0 or any other functions do not switch it off.

Then it is probably wired externally to the decoder to stay always on regardless of DCC control state. Remember this is in essence a fictitious film based loco and not necessarily something representing real life. The headlight may even be a bulb and not an LED so that it is not direction polarity sensitive. If it is a bulb then the lamp should feel decidedly warm, if not hot to the touch.

If the lamp does indeed feel warm, then I deduce that it definitely is not wired into the decoder.

Not hot. It's an LED I think. Been on for several hours now. Checked the documentation but that's just the standard Hall Class operating and maintenance instructions and the TTS manual is for the Class b4900 Hall. No mention of Harry Potter in either. Suspect its the original lamp DC wiring of the earlier Potter loco and they were too lazy to make the minor adjustment for DCC.

I can confirm that the previous HP model which was DCC Ready had the light (LED) connected to the rails via some rectification circuitry so it was on when running on DC and all the time on DCC.  Much like table lamps in Pullman coaches.

If you wanted to change it to switchable on DCC, you only need some basic electronic knowledge (be able to trace wiring on the model) and soldering skill.  Just disconnect the current circuitry to the light (the circuitry is on a small PCB) and connect it to -ve green function wire and +ve blue return, including a 1000 ohm resistor to limit current, and getting the polarity correct. It will now be switchable via F18.