The LMS ‘Coronation Scot’ coaches and Avanti West Coast Pendolino sets

JeremiahBunyan

I am very happy that just under 3 months since the Hornby 2020 range announcements were released, painted samples of the Class 390 Pendolino have alread emerged. I'm assuming that's because tooling already exists. The livery on the Hornby model looks good, but I still prefer them in their original Virgin Trains livery.

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

The Coronation Scot carriages are progressing really well.  It is remarkable that Hornby has at last taken the step to produce all the different diagrams of vehicles for a particular train. It will be interesting to see how many layouts will eventually accommodate the full train. How I wish I had the room!

It is also interesting to note they have included in the research the observation saloon that the kitchen car was turned in to. Might we also expect a model of this in the future I wonder?

If successful might we expect a similar approach to the LNER Silver Jubilee or Coronation carriages, or the GWR Cornish Riviera Express or Cheltenham Flyer, or perhaps the SR Atlantic Coast Express or Night Ferry? Food for thought.

Time for me to share my thoughts...

First of all, this may have only covered 3 items, but the amount of written content is enormous and highly informative. I'm not much of a steam era person, so whilst a majority of the content wasn't of much interest to me, it is amazing to see just how much work goes into the R&D phase of model trains. It's also lovely to see Hornby taking up the initiative to produce special rakes like these. I hope it sells well and if so obviously similar sets like these that ran on the LNER, GWR and SR will be looked into at some point.

Artwork images are always fascinating to me. I love looking at all the details for the various artwork. How we complain about shades being slightly off. But it's not an easy task.

Avanti West Coast Class 390 Pendolino looks absolutely amazing.

And as for the "hint or two" that Hornby's researcher Paul Isles is referring to, I think it may be the following:-

- One or more of the coaches pictured in the backgroup when they were taking photos for during their research trip

- Virgin Trains Pendolino in the newer Virgin Trains livery.

- The concept of having matching coaches for the loco (LMS Coronation rake) could be applied to another item in this year's announcement i.e the Class 91 and therefore we might get Mk4 coaches next year.

JB

I am with you on that. 

I have always had a fondness for matching trains and locomotives, after all that is exactly what the publicity departments of the railway companies were striving for. That was always the appeal of the ECML IC225 sets, spoiled only when there was change over between ownership. The GNER Stealth livery had that certain something as did the  East Coast Silver Grey and Mauve. And I still prefer the HST in the original BR blue/grey/ with yellow front.

The reference to KWVR's prototype D0226 diesel shunter, with accompanying photo, wasn't particularly subtly worked in. It would be a seriously niche choice but given that it's worn nearly as many liveries in its preserved life as Hornby's caley pug, it could be an attractive choice for a railroad model based on the 08?

The reference to KWVR's prototype D0226 diesel shunter, with accompanying photo, wasn't particularly subtly worked in. It would be a seriously niche choice but given that it's worn nearly as many liveries in its preserved life as Hornby's caley pug, it could be an attractive choice for a railroad model based on the 08?

I don't see any photos or reference to D0226 in the recent edition of The Engine Shed...