Some advice for routes and programming

Guest Chrissaf

First some background. I am constructing a 12' by 4' OO gauge railway using a DCC system (RM-Pro) and an eLink. This works well for locos, points and LED signals when using the mimic panel and clicking on each point or signal icon to change their state respectively from left to right or red to green (and visa versa). I have created some routes which switch a sequence of points reliably though there are no more than 5 points in any route. I am now adding the signals into the point settings dialogue boxes so that the signals follow the point changes, This doesn't work and I have tried many scenarios. Having read some of the input here, I have tried using programs to control the signals. Still no luck. Again the points work fine but the signals stay as set at start up. Remeber these work perfecctly for manual / mimic screen operation but neither programs nor routes will set the signals as programmed. I admit to probably having done something daft. It is frustrating however when the signals work perfectly reliably manually. It suggests that there is a difference between what happens on the DCC bus when different techniques are used to control signals. However I'm no expert hence my question here. Any advice would be gatefully received. 

Hi BB,

Although you can use the points configuration window to set up Signals to be changed as the point is changed, unfortunately this only works when the points red/green buttons are clicked on the layout diagram. If the point is switched either in a route or in a RM program, the "Other points/signals" settings are not actioned. I think I had a dialogue with HRMS (Railmaster Support) about this a few years ago, and I was told that this wasn't a fault, but the way it was designed. However, there is a way around this. If you are using routes to set your points, you can configure your signals to be changed in those same routes. Similarly, if you are using a program to set your points, you can add commands to that program to change the signals as well.

Hope this helps

Ray

If the point is switched either in a route or in a RM program, the "Other points/signals" settings are not actioned.

Very counter-intuitive though.

I think I had a dialogue with HRMS (Railmaster Support) about this a few years ago

You most certainly did Ray - lots of us on here remember it.

R-

Ray. Thanks again for your advise. It takes some time to set up the signals for all traffic flow variations but the effort is well worth it. I'm incredulous that HRMS engineers could even suggest that disabling an operational feature when using another without advising users could even remotely be described as a design feature. That said and having had much experience of working with software engineers over the years, I don't think it is unreasonable to suggest that they tend to operate in a world of their own. Still, now that I understand this "feature", all is good. Actually, very impressive. Many thanks for your support. BB