Select controller

ericr00

please help !!  I,m a novice in this hobby and I need help in how to connect my Hornby DCC Select controller to my Peco track.   I,ve connected the black & black/white wires to the rear of the controller but I.m at a loss how to connect it to the track.  My track is two ovals made up with Peco starter track, ST100 & ST101.  I would allpeciate any advise that can be given.  Thanks.  eric00

PECO sell track power connectors ST273. ST273 comes as a pair, one short plus one long (see image). Note that the ST273 may be supplied in a different style as they underwent a design change at some time in their lifetime. I believe the ones below are the later versions and are not yet being shown on the PECO website (needs confirming).

Both styles are shown on this page...both have the same ST-273 stock code number.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=peco-st273

EDIT: Both the ST-100 and ST-101 track starter kits include a ST-273 track power connector pair as standard.

/media/tinymce_upload/9b0070f0de458b130b3290ba95b71027.jpg

With this version, The metal prongs clip to the rails and are held in place by using the screw fixing holes shown on the image (see images above and below). Obviously the track needs to be pinned to a wooden baseboard for this method to be effective.

/media/tinymce_upload/1b4a9b40b9881f77e6222ccb5253f5a2.jpg

PECO do not use DCC point clips (unlike Hornby). So your layout is likely to need multiple power connections at strategic locations else you will end up with 'dead track' sections.

Personally, I would rather solder the wires to the track rather than use these ST273 power clips, but appreciate not everyone can solder or are willing to try. If you do want to try, then read my 'How To Tutorial'.

If you sketch your proposed layout design and post that here in this thread, then advice can be given as to where the optimum power connections should be made to ensure all parts of your proposed DCC layout are live.

With regard to how to post image....see TIP 8 in linked page below. Note that 'newbie' images are held back for approval and will not appear straight away:

TIP: As a newbie poster, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

Particularly as my reply includes an image. If you use the blue button, any reply you write, may be held back for image approval. Even though it is already a previously published image.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

No .....I'm saying that PECO do not SELL point clips. If you use Hornby point clips on PECO track then that is not PECO's recommended solution for DCC power distribution (thus my statement "PECO do not use.....) I'm not saying that using Hornby clips on PECO track won't work, as you have shown they do with your own experience. However, that said. I do not like Hornby's DCC point clips solution which is why I don't promote it unless I have to. I much prefer a proper well designed power distribution solution. The clips are a potential fault liability.