kit colour listings?

hi,

does anyone know of a web resource that simply tellys you which colour paints are in the intended colour scheme for a given model? 

I think I may have seen this somewhere for airfix, but I'm currently looking for colours on a revell kit. It really slows things down if you have to wait for the kit to arrive befire finding out which paints you need to buy!

e.g. revell RV03280 looks like you pretty much paint the whole thing one colour, but surely there is a table somewhere that tells me what that colour is?

thanks

You can download the instructions for the M40 here, the paints are listed on page four. You can usually find the relevant Revell instructions on their download pages, but this is one that is missing at the moment. In this Scalemates came to the rescue, but whilst Scalemates have a good number of instruction sheets available, you can't always bank on them being there.

You can download the instructions for the M40 here, the paints are listed on page four. You can usually find the relevant Revell instructions on their download pages, but this is one that is missing at the moment. In this Scalemates came to the rescue, but whilst Scalemates have a good number of instruction sheets available, you can't always bank on them being there.

that's one to bookmark, thanks for your help

My son is starting on Airfix with a McDonald Douglas Phantom FGR.2 (A06017). It's been about 40 years since I made an Airfix model. We are wondering if anyone can help with a couple of questions about paint. The box and contents give a paint list but the list includes 4 or 5 colours which are not in the instructions or on any images of option A, B or C. Will we need these extras? Also, there is no mention of paint volume. I'm assuming we will need a lot more of some paints than others?

Box & website list the following paints (among others) for all three options (A, B & C): 66 (Olive Drab), 74 (Linen), 85 (Coal Black), 140 (Gull Grey), 163 (Dark Green) and 174 (Signal Red) but none of these are listed in the instructions for option A ("No. 1435 Flight...") or Weapons and Stores sheet. (and a few are not required for any of the options)

I've checked the instructions and the only one I can find unreferenced is 66 Olive Drab, which would be required on the bombs if you're fitting them. Otherwise the paint list covers all three schemes offered in the kit. Linen is specified for the harnesses, Coal black for the basic seat colour. Gull grey is an option for sidewinder fins, you definitely need Dark Green for the 2 Squadron bird and signal red is specified for certain weapons pylons (I think these might be associated with training rounds). As far as I can see the list is comprehensive, but for all three versions, so it's dependent on which you choose. I'd suggest there shouldn't be any need for more than one tinlet of everything and some will be good for a number of projects, for example blacks, whites, silvers, reds, blues. 

Off to see if we can hunt that down somewhere for a reasonable price...

I think you'll be lucky to find any Humbrol 167 Barley Grey, it's also known as Camouflage Grey, try Hannant's: Camo Grey

I've linked to the acrylic range, but they also do an enamel - beware, the enamels can take ages to set. 

• 2 weeks later...

Three orders in (and 3 x P&P) and we have all 16 paints, 12ml Poly Cement, 20ml Precision Poly and 31ml Model Filler. But no paint brush... I know, you'd think it was obvious but we were caught up in finding the missing '167 Satin RAF Barley Grey' (which we have).

Before we place an order for brushes, can anyone highlight any other basics we should have when starting out? (and save us placing more multiple orders).

Many Thanks.

Three orders in (and 3 x P&P) and we have all 16 paints, 12ml Poly Cement, 20ml Precision Poly and 31ml Model Filler. But no paint brush... I know, you'd think it was obvious but we were caught up in finding the missing '167 Satin RAF Barley Grey' (which we have).

Before we place an order for brushes, can anyone highlight any other basics we should have when starting out? (and save us placing more multiple orders).

Many Thanks.

Collecting equipment and paint is a bit like a hobby within the hobby.

The list below tries to list items that I could not do without and some of them you may find in your bathroom or home already.  It is not conclusive and others will have widely differeing opinions.

• Clippers (for removing items from sprue)
  • Sharp cutting knife (children beware)
  • Small scissors
  • Tweezers
  • Masking tape
  • Cotton buds
  • Tooth picks
  • Nail emery boards for sanding (a few grades).  As you progress you buy sanding sticks.
  • A few brushes (various sizes).  At least 000 as smallest.
  • Wind screen wash for cleaning brushes
  • Thinner for your paint.  Not sure if you are using emamels or acrylics.  Each thinner is different.  I believe humbrol acrylics can be thinned with water.  Check
  • A gloss coat for laying decals on.
  • A matt or silk coat to finish

While this may seem a large list, most of these will last for ages/ for ever.

As you and your family advance:

• A primer before painting.  Some would have this as essential.
  • Filler, for gaps in seams.
  • A range of dedicated sanding sticks
  • Setting solutions for decals
  • A fast drying, extra thin glue like Tamiya Extra Thin.  I would have this as essential but many still use and like traditional glues
  • PVA for attaching clear bits

Some companies do starter tool sets like Humbrol.  No idea if they are any good.

If I think of anything else I'll let you know.  Any questions just ask.

Many Thanks.

Collecting equipment and paint is a bit like a hobby within the hobby.

The list below tries to list items that I could not do without and some of them you may find in your bathroom or home already.  It is not conclusive and others will have widely differeing opinions.

• Clippers (for removing items from sprue)
  • Sharp cutting knife (children beware)
  • Small scissors
  • Tweezers
  • Masking tape
  • Cotton buds
  • Tooth picks
  • Nail emery boards for sanding (a few grades).  As you progress you buy sanding sticks.
  • A few brushes (various sizes).  At least 000 as smallest.
  • Wind screen wash for cleaning brushes
  • Thinner for your paint.  Not sure if you are using emamels or acrylics.  Each thinner is different.  I believe humbrol acrylics can be thinned with water.  Check
  • A gloss coat for laying decals on.
  • A matt or silk coat to finish

While this may seem a large list, most of these will last for ages/ for ever.

As you and your family advance:

• A primer before painting.  Some would have this as essential.
  • Filler, for gaps in seams.
  • A range of dedicated sanding sticks
  • Setting solutions for decals
  • A fast drying, extra thin glue like Tamiya Extra Thin.  I would have this as essential but many still use and like traditional glues
  • PVA for attaching clear bits

Some companies do starter tool sets like Humbrol.  No idea if they are any good.

If I think of anything else I'll let you know.  Any questions just ask.

Staring me in the face!  All my tools are on it - a cheap A3 cutting mat is also useful.

• 3 months later...

Usually on the instruction sheet and/or the back of the box

You then need to look through the range of paints offered by the makers - Humbrol, Vallejo, etc -  to find the colours used on that particular model

For example if your interests are mainly WW2 RAF you will soon build up a collection of the most commonly used paint colours such as Dark Green, Dark Earth, Medium Sea Grey, and so on

Vallejo model air do 8 paint sets called "The air wars" which are a convenient way of buying paint sets. Early war RAF, RAF post 1942, early war Luftwaffe, late war Luftwaffe etc. Some of the colours I think are a bit off-colour but I've worked out my own formulas to tweak them. 

• 1 month later...

Hi All

I have just bought the Hawker Siddeley GR3 1/24th scale. I notice on the instructions it lists only 3 coloured paints.

Is there a definitive list of all the paint colours i will need somewhere that I have failed to notice.

I was bought this model for Xmas one year when I was in my early teens but never finished it, Now's the ideal time.

Regards

Danno2000