A50185 Dogfight Double Mig-17 and Skyhawk????

Tweezers

Strange they have chosen Vietnam and not the Middle East.

Because Vietnam was one of the biggest post WWII conflicts and both types saw extensive combat in it? Should sit well with the US market. My understanding is that VA-93 Det-Q aircraft were A-4B, which is what the kit purports to represent.

My understanding is that the only A4 to take down a Mig 17 was an A4-c with its zuni rockets. 

"While flying a U.S. Navy A-4C Skyhawk on 1 May 1967 during a sortie against Kép Air Base, North Vietnam. Lieutenant Commander Theodore R. Swartz of Attack Squadron VA-76, flying from the U.S.S. Bon Homme Richard (CVA-31), shot down a MiG-17 using only his Zuni unguided rockets. This was also the only MiG aircraft to be shot down by a A-4 Skyhawk during the Vietnam War. Lieutenant Commander Theodore R. Swartz would later receive the Silver Star for his actions."

i had a go at recreating this but fell short with the decals. The A4 B and C are pretty similar and I've got the zunis on the A4 at least.

The A4 simply wasn't designed for air to air so kills BY the A4 will be in very short supply. Usually it was the victim of a dedicated fighter.

Thanks Peter,  I really appreciate these accurate insights.

In vain I hope Airfix will reisit their moulds and create an accurate A-4E with abundance of ordnance.

No sweat. The current Airfix B model despite the inaccurate bits (understandable because the one they copied is a bit weird) teams up very nicely with the Hasegawa weapons and pylon kits. I've put everything from 18x 500lb bombs to a nuke under the airfix. An E model would open up a lot more possibilities though.