West Country R3445 only runs on rolling road

Southernboy55

Purchased about 3 years ago, Camelford hasn't run much, as the layout is still under construction. That siad, it was certainly run-in. I had it professionally weathered recently, and tried it on the track for the first time today. An initial problem was some airbrush paint on the wheel faces, but I cleaned that off with airbrush cleaner on a cotton bud. Loco runs great on the rolling road, but sits stationary as soon as it is on the layout - whilst making all of its ESU sounds!. If I lift the loco body (just) off the track, the driving wheels run as expected (whilst tender wheels remain on the track). On that basis, it appears that the loco can't shift its own weight. Quite perplexing as is used to run great, and still "goes like a train" on the rolling road. The track is perfectly clean, as are the wheels. There isn't any power pick-up problem, just insufficient power to propel the loco. Any ideas please? John

I had a ringfield motored Class 56 like that.

Sweet as a nut on RR but couldn’t muster enough go to drag its own weight around. Put a new motor in it with a new magnet and all was well.

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/