Avro Anson Mk I in 1/72 scale

null_null981707818191

This is my first post on the Airfix Forum – so please be kind with any comments! I returned to modelling after 50 years absence as a therapy following a hip replacement. I live near what was once RAF Warmwell, so that (and The BoB in general) forms a theme in my modelling so far. When I get round to it, I’ll post some images of other BoB builds, but the Warmwell theme has led to trying to build the aircraft that would have been seen there during the summer of 1940 particularly (but also later in the war so I could include a Whirlwind and a Typhoon!). This one is the Avro Anson Mk I, MW-V K8813 of 217 Squadron, which although based mainly at St Eval almost certainly flew in and out of Warmwell. On the 11th August 1940, it took off from St Eval at 12.15, piloted by P/O Anthony Gordon-Peiniger, sent a message at 16.57 saying it was under attack – and nothing more was heard from the plane and the wreckage was never found.

The model was built from the Airfix 1/72 kit manufactured I would guess in the 1960s (to judge from the box and the yellowed single sheet instructions!). There were, as one might expect, quite a few issues requiring filling and fettling, and I decided to scratch build the ‘headlamp’ and fit out the interior. The decal sheet was badly yellowed and anyway the serial number and code letters were not exactly what I wanted. The code letters were applied using white letters – I agonised over this, as to whether I should use sky grey or not – but all the pictures I could find (including the box art) seemed to suggest that Ansons carried the letters in white at this period. Vallejo Model Air acrylic was used with a variety of brushes – I haven’t yet graduated to an air-brush….

I’ve included a few images of the final build, but also one that shows the crew in the ‘office’./media/tinymce_upload/f4e37e7901d3da84b571e213b5e47677.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/d1363e29fa7969eb794333220fd0ce8b.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/f8095ba2754d0bf2635dc122ed054426.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/2695ec611d920cab17fc2f0d97da4d1f.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/564ad70f660c6d9d13fcb23c4c2117fc.jpg

The finish looks very good. Considering the model’s age, you have created a very good model.

I would just make one or two comments about the markings. My references show the squadron codes should be the other way around on the port side [shown], i.e. they should read V-MW. In addition, the orange triangle [signifying a Dutch crew perhaps] should have the ‘point’ pointing down. As to the colour of the code letters, my references clearly show a grey of some sort [sky or Light].

These comments are meant to be constructive, and I hope they are received as such as nothing should take away from the quality of the construction & finish.

Dominic

Following on from your comments Dominic I think the modeller null may have got slightly confused with the tail flash? As you say the Dutch insignia would be the small orange triangle in a black boarder but in the main text he states the decals weren't very good so he used others available to him. Maybe null got confused with the square yellow gas patch used on aircraft in the early period of WW2 which were placed in a prominent area of the airframe so the crew could view it? I also thought the lower surfaces would be Sky Type S rather than light aircraft grey?

But null you have still made a good model and I really liked the extra detail you added to the interior and hope to see more of your BoB themed aircraft!! 

Following on from your comments Dominic I think the modeller null may have got slightly confused with the tail flash? As you say the Dutch insignia would be the small orange triangle in a black boarder but in the main text he states the decals weren't very good so he used others available to him. Maybe null got confused with the square yellow gas patch used on aircraft in the early period of WW2 which were placed in a prominent area of the airframe so the crew could view it? I also thought the lower surfaces would be Sky Type S rather than light aircraft grey?

But null you have still made a good model and I really liked the extra detail you added to the interior and hope to see more of your BoB themed aircraft!! 

Good points.

As for the under surface colour, I agree. But the possible guide of the box art suggests light grey. Ho, hum.

As for the under surface colour, I agree. But the possible guide of the box art suggests light grey. Ho, hum.

'Light grey' is distinctly possible according to one reference I have, although the same source suggests 321 Ansons had aluminium undersurfaces. It includes a photo that suggests this was the case. Codes would be Medium Sea Grey. None of this detracts from the quality of the OPs build.