Setting Up a new point to existing layout

I have just added another "shunting" lane to my layout and for the point control I have used the Train Tech PC1 Point controller, connected to a Peco PL11 Side Mounting Turnout Motor.

The physical and wiring installation was no problem and I have full control from Railmaster (Pro). My problem is that the Mimic for the point status (direction) on the screen layout is not showing. Additionally, on start up of Railmaster this point does not set to the default position.

Please can anyone advise?

My problem is that the Mimic for the point status (direction) on the screen layout is not showing.

This is a well documented issue with an easy fix. Go back into your plan in the 'Plan Designer' screen. Remove the point from the plan so that the operating buttons are deleted. Add the point again, but this time and this is the important bit.

When you drag the point operating button from the left hand side menu (I suggest dragging the red one), place your arrow point of the CURSOR not the BUTTON onto the CENTRE of the point and release your drag mouse button. If you have positioned the cursor correctly you should observe this.

BOTH operating buttons (Red and Green) should appear and they should SNAP to the correct positions each side of the point. If you do not observe this snapping action then the blue grey indicator line will not appear on the plan. You mustn't try to position the red and green buttons on the plan manually yourself. This snapping action is imperative.

Also, there are potentially some situations where you cannot place the point icons in the plan in the positions you want because the point operating buttons of two adjacent points are trying to occupy the same physical location on the plan, so again, if you don't observe this snapping action, you may have to re-jig your plan to move the point icons further apart.

Additionally, on start up of RailMaster this point does not set to the default position.

I may be wrong but I seem to recall that you have got RailMasterPro. In the configuration dialogue box of the point (right clicking the red point operating button in 'Plan Designer') you have to assign a sequential number** to the 'Start up position' box ... see below:

/media/tinymce_upload/e22190293f9bd74101318d10e63861cd.jpg

Note** sequential to the number already set for your other existing points.

If you do not have RailMasterPro or you have already included this entry, then it may be being ignored because of the indicator line issue above not being correct.

As your other points are operating on start up. Then you must therefore have the correct 'start up' option selected in 'System Settings', but worth checking to make absolutely sure the option is still ticked in the checkbox.

That is an odd feature of Pro Chris in that if you do not allocate a start up number to the new point it will not fire at start up. Non Pro will just hang the new point on the end of the list and ackle it then.

Pity it is not clearer in the documentation.

Actually it is pretty well described with clarity in the manual documentation. This extract was taken from Page 86 in the current latest manual. You know what they say, if in doubt ... read the manual.

/media/tinymce_upload/573412acff00cd7cabeab67aed14159e.jpg

Once again many thanks. I suppose my excuse is having not fitted a new point (turnout) for a couple of years I "lost the knowledge!" this event has also introduced me to a more uptodate manual, which I am now finding very interesting.