Program track wire

Injury20

Hey all,  Happy lockdown

My first layout is coming on and im at a stage now where i will start to add my bus wire for my layout.  I'm going to build a small program track out of spare track and keep it seperate from my layout.  Question is for the program track what spec/guage wire should I use??

I have some spare 2 core cable for extending apliance plug leads and also have plenty of bell wire and speaker cable.  Would this be ok as a stand alone program track??  I was going to use my seperate program track as practice / learning how to solder

thanks in advance

Wire is wire, and it doesn't matter that much! 

Don't use 'bell' wire, though, for anything. It is a single-core, rather stiff wire. Nothing wrong with that, but it is prone to fracturing inside the plastic sheath, and you will spend hours, if not days, trying to find the fault!

I have some spare 2 core cable for extending appliance plug leads

If you mean the 3 amp / 5 amp variety typically seen on table lamps, then that should be fine. Or anything similar. Unlike the main layout, the programming track is extremely low power by comparison and is current limited to a value measured in milliamps. Just make sure that the wire is stranded and not solid (as Eric suggested) and that it should ideally be soldered to the programming track as opposed to using a power clip. Plus, any power clip that you might end up using (anywhere on the layout, including the main layout track) MUST be DCC compatible and not recycled from a DC Analogue layout.

Thanks guys,

The 2 core cable I have is multi strand and 6amp, the speaker wire I have is also multi strand and about the same thickness as the cable that came with the E-link.

I have added a couple of pics of my progress so far, but I imagine they will appear in a couple of days once approved.

As I dont have any soldering kit yet, I have some female electrical connectors which are pretty much the same size as fishplates and fit perfect on the end of the track.  Once I have my soldering tools I will use it to practise on before adding the DCC bus wire to my layout.

As you have confirmed that the brown Fig 8 cable is stranded wire. I would use that for the 'PROG A&B' output to the programming track. But to be honest it is 6 of one, half dozen of the other. As both cables look to have similarly specified wires.

Have you considered using a siding as a programming track? Brian Lambert's website shows how at  

https://www.brian-lambert.co.uk (go to DCC Page 1, then Page Quick links 'Programming Track') 

You isolate the track using insulated rail joiners and wire it, via a DPDT toggle switch, to the bus and the Prog A and B output, so you can use it as part of the layout for both running and programming in DCC. It's a lot easier to do than it might sound and, frankly, if I can do it anyone can!  

Just be aware that you can do it that way, but there is risk.

If the DPDT switch is accidentally left in the 'programming' position and you then try to run a loco onto that siding. The leading wheels bridging the Insulated Rail Joiners will put DCC track voltage onto the 'PROG' output of the controller. There is a distinct possibility that this will damage the controller.

One has to have ones wits about them, using this alternative 'prog' track option to ensure the DPDT switch is always left in the 'main track' position ... concentration required.

Some 'users' even if they consider themselves to be methodical and wouldn't make such a mistake, might have children or visiting children that do tend to like operating any switches that they see. By keeping the programming track totally physically separate then any such risk is equally totally eliminated.

I just mention this as 'devils advocate'.

I went with the brown multi strand automotive speaker cable and it works a treat,  I plugged it into the power section and it worked.  I've now finished it and painted it, put a hook on the back to hang it up above my workbench and ready to go. (pic added)  I've just ordered my second loco so I will be able to try it out (Flying scotsman with ttsound) looking forward to seeing it going around my layout.

I did look at brian lamberts site, but like Chrissaf said, one - as i'm new to modelling and learning as I go and two - I was worried about my clumsyness and fry my loco's or controller (you've seen my username)  and secondly.  So I went with the seperate programme track, plus I will use this to practise soldering on when my kit comes hopefully next weekend.

Thanks for the note of caution, Chrissaf. In my ignorance I have either been lucky or my Digitrax Zephyr controller is idiot-proofed for just such an event. I do have a red 'Missile Cover', which returns the switch to Main Track, but that still isn't a fail-safe solution.   

Hi

There are four methods of powering a dedicated siding acting as Programming track shiown on my web site (see link below). What seems to have been totally missed by one frequent poster is that the last one shown is where an isolated track section is used in between the main and programming section of track of a siding and is by far the best option where a switched programming track is being used.

Of course a stand alone programming track is ideal too, but this does mean handling a loco at least twice per programming session! 

https://www.brian-lambert.co.uk/DCC_Page_1.html#Bookmark2

Thought I would share with you,

I had my 2nd loco delivered today, a flying scotsman with TTS sound, below is a pic on my newly built programming track getting set up for my layout.  It worked really well and I've had it doing laps on my layout whilst playing with the sound effects./media/tinymce_upload/be7cffa56b39f7e737c1220926d4fd1b.jpg