Train does not respond to controller when it is only train on layout

annagr

I wonder if any one has an answer to this weird problem. My Flying Scotsman does not respond to the controller if it is the only train on the layout. Turn it on, nothing happerns. As soon as I place another train anywhere on the layout the Flying Scotsman starts and  runs no problem. If I remove the second train while the Scotsman is running it's fine and keeps going until I stop it. But I cannot get it to start again unless there is a second train on the tracks.  Is this a controller problem (Hornby Select), a problem with the Scotsman, or a track problem? The other train starts without any other trains on the track.  It's just the Scotsman that's being a pain.

Just more out of curiosity what DCC Address are you using for the FS ?

What firmware revision is your Select? ... the very first number to appear briefly on the Select screen when it is powered up.

If I remove the second train while the Scotsman is running it's fine and keeps going until I stop it. But I cannot get it to start again unless there is a second train on the tracks.

How very strange indeed. This is an extreme long shot and a clutching at straws moment. But it is the only thing I can think off, where very strange illogical things have been observed to happen. Check ALL your power tracks and power clips for the inclusion of a suppression capacitor and remove any that you find...... see image below.

/media/tinymce_upload/070f3831253bff57176cca85280cb719.jpg

If present, these capacitors corrupt the DCC digital signal and can cause very odd things to happen. If present, it may be that by placing another loco across the track you are reducing the adverse effect of the capacitor on the DCC data signal, just sufficiently enough that the FS can then detect the DCC signal enough to respond.

When I turn on the controller at the wall the number 15, then 30, then 03 come up in that order. The  FS is on address 03 and now that you mention it I could not change that address when I first got it. Every time I tried to allocate another address the controller exhibited an error. I had no problem changing the address for either of my other two locomotives. I have no power clips on my very small layout so capacitors are not the problem. I use the Hornby power track for DCC, not analogue. I have had the FS for several months but always ran it when there were other trains on the track. But today, due to some work on my tunnel, I removed the other trains  and was using the FS to check the opening size of the tunnel portals. That's when I noticed the problem. I hope there is a solution to this.

Even if your power track says DCC it is worth flipping the cover off and checking there is no capacitor. Some DCC sets were supplied with the wrong type.

As the Select was reporting an error that suggest a loco fault. What was the error - OL? - which indicates a short.

Does your FS have the springy finger thingy connecting the loco drawbar to the tender post. If so that could be the casue of the short. If a fixed drawbar and four pin plug that is a more reliable connection.

I use the Hornby power track for DCC, not analogue.

Some Digital train sets left the factory with an Analogue power track in them in error. Just humour me and physically check the power track to be 100% sure.

The  FS is on address 03 and now that you mention it I could not change that address when I first got it. Every time I tried to allocate another address the controller exhibited an error.

In that case, are you absolutely sure (open the loco and physically check) that this loco has a decoder fitted to it. It is feasible that the symptoms you are describing might be attributable to the loco only being 'DCC Ready'.

If after humouring me and checking the power connector and no capacitor is found, and if opening up the loco, a decoder is found to be present. Then as Jane2 says above, the likelihood is that the decoder has an obscure fault on it and needs replacing.