Falklands 40th anniversary

Richard E

With this anniversary approaching fast I would like to add my wish list for models relating to a campaign that saw a huge variety of assets involved on both sides.

Head of my list would be a wasp helicopter in 1/48 scale, closely followed by a decent RN anti submarine sea king in 1/72 and a really nice sea harrier and wessex.

A number of barrier gr3s were used and in a supporting role there were of course the black buck vulcan, victors, nimrods etc.

The Chinook was used by both sides and the Argentine forces operated a range of interesting types such as the mirage, sky-hawk, super-standard, Canberra, Hercules and pucarra. 

Then there are all the ships. I would to see some decent models of some of the smaller vessels such as a Leander or rothsay class frigate as well as the perhaps more obvious Illustrious/Hermes/Fearless.

Overall a huge amount of scope for some decent new releases in 2022?

Just glanced my 2012 Airfix catalogue to see what was on offer then.  Only four are signposted from the two page spread.

BAe Sea Harrier FRS1 1:72

Douglas A-4 Sky Hawk 1:72

Dog Fight Double of the above

Avro Vulcan 1:72

There were clearly others that could be attributed but I suspect that 2022 won't be that different, particularly considering the current circumstances.  If the new Vulcan gets released on time then they will surely have an operation Black Buck version?

In the past Airfix have released the following in 1/72, which did, or could, have a Falklands connection;

Skyhawk A-4P/Q

Pucara (Re-boxed Special Hobby kit) 

Super Etendard (Re-boxed Heller kit)

C-130 Hercules (no Falklands conflict decals though)

Mirage IIIc (not right mark for Falklands, and very old tired kit)

Vulcan B2 (old tool, maybe new tool?)

Victor K2

Nimrod MR2

Sea Harrier FRS.1

Harrier GR.3

Gazelle AH.1

Scout AH.1

Seaking HC.4 (not Falklands decals or configuration)

Lynx HAS.2 (not Falklands Decals)

A lot of these are no longer available, or are in need of modifications. Other manufacturers also do Falklands era aircraft, like Wessex ( both HAS.3 and Hu.5 are available), MB.339AA, Mirage IIIEA, IAI Dagger and Turbo Mentor, but again note that they may not be available right now or be hard to find.

I'm a fan of the Falkland's conflict aircraft and have built the following;

Vulcan

Victor

Nimrod

2 x Harrier

Chinook

Gazelle

2 x Sea Harrier (light and dark grey camo)

Lynx x 2 (Royal Navy and Argentine Navy)

Seaking

Wessex HAS.3

2 x Skyhawk (air force and navy)

MB.339AA

Pucara

I have the following waiting to be built;

Seaking HC.4

Gazelle (Marines)

Twin Otter (looking for Argentine decals for this one)