DCC how tracks can I operate at once

Stus trains

Hi folks I'm kind of new to the whole DCC world and I'm playing to get the DCC SELECT I have one question how many tracks can I operate simultaneously with that controller. My current layout is 2 up lines with 2 down lines. 

If anyone can please help it would be very much appreciated as people I've asked just give the same answer as to how many locos I can operate

Thanks Stu's trains

The Select Controller comes with a 1A Power Supply Unit and is generally considered suitable for up to 4 Loco's, although this may reduce if they are large or older models that take more current. 

At the end of the day, it depends how many Loco's you yourself can control, within the limit of your Select Controller.

The answer you get will always be the same, because that answer that others are giving you is the correct answer.

With DCC, it has got absolutely nothing to do with how many tracks (let's call them loops) you have. You could have 100 loops ... it makes no odds. The track itself does not consume power, barring losses due to resistance.

The question is how many locomotives can I power when limited to the 1 amp power supply that comes as standard with a Hornby Select controller.

The answer to that is ... it depends ... it depends upon whether the whole of the 1 amp is available for powering locomotives. Anything that connects to the DCC track for power will reduce the power available for locomotives. The Select itself will consume some of the 1 amp current (power). Any Accessory Decoders you have for points will consume some power. If you have passenger coaches with internal lighting, they will consume power too.

So all of these things need to be taken into account when deciding how many locomotives is a reasonable number for a Select to operate concurrently. Typically, this will be three or four locomotives.

If you want to beef up the Select capability, the official Hornby Select upgrade power supply is the 4 amp P9300 power supply. The P9300 should theoretically give scope for up to 10 locomotives being operated concurrently.

Just as an aside. I would check to see what firmware version your Select has. The firmware version is reported as the very first number to briefly appear on screen when the Select powers up. This is expected to be a number between 10 & 20. If it 10 or 11, then I highly recommend that you have it upgraded by Hornby to version 16. This is a return to Hornby upgrade and costs £15 +VAT (£18) plus your sending postage costs. Version 16 will totally transform your user experience and give you the ability to write to all the decoder CVs (something that is both desirable and beneficial).

EDIT: RDS replied whilst I was still busy typing.

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/