I can’t find DCC socket on Class 423 4 VEP?

Snooker147

See service sheet 367 which lists R-numbers/X which denotes they also come DCC fitted, although there are no clues on the SS as to where this is.

However the Maintenance sheet shows the location and it is hiding in plain sight.

I have highlighted this in your photo. Remove the blanking plug and plug in your 8-pin decoder.

/media/tinymce_upload/e1d62ec61f2e53a6c9a1acbc99e31e39.png

Just to add to what Rob has shown you. A loco will not function if the DCC socket is empty ... it must have 'something' plugged into it. If not a decoder, then a 'pass through' blanking plate (plug). Rob's arrow is pointing at the 8 pin socket fitted with this 'pass through' plug.

When you remove the blanking plug, you should see an indicator of some type indicating PIN 1. This indicator maybe a triangle, a dot or the number 1. Make sure that when you plug the decoder into the now vacant socket that the Orange wire on the decoder plug lines up with PIN 1 on the socket.

As Robs reply includes an image, do not try to reply using the 'Blue Button with White Arrow', if you do, then your reply will disappear. See the TIP below:

TIP: As a poster with a low post count (your other post was in 2019) on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

ADDENDUM

Note that the 8 pin Blanking Plate (plug) in that photo is a special version specifically designed for that loco. I strongly advise that when it is removed that you keep it safe somewhere. You will need it, should you need to diagnose a possible decoder fault by reverting the loco back to normal analogue control.

That particular Blanking Plate (plug) includes a bridge rectifier on it to reproduce a positive supply for the lighting when in analogue operation mode. Pattern part blanking plate (plugs) do not have this crucial bridge rectifier component on them.

I doubt that this plug is readily available as a 'spare part' item as it is not listed on the 367 service sheet with a part number. So keep it safe and pass it on to any new owner that you might sell this loco to in the future.

• 4 weeks later...