Flying Scotsman controlled by Select issues

Istvan

Hi all, I have tried finding a solution on the forums and in-store however no real luck so here goes.

I purchased a Hornby Mixed Traffic set, Track pack B and C and some Peco straight tracks. I set up the Tracks and the two loco's included in the box work fine. I later purchased a Hornby Flying Scotsman DCC Fitted which initially didn't work at all, totally non-responsive. I split the track up into a single straight line which the Scotsman started responding to commands (forward, back and sounds) I then started adding more and more track until it stopped working again. I got to the point of it working fine on a single circular track by cleaning the tracks thoroughly. 
I put together a larger track layout and now strangely the Scotsman only works for a minute or so, then becomes non-responsive to any command from the Select, it will continue around the track even after pressing the Emergency Stop button and will only stop if I turn off power at the wall.
What's more confusing is, it will respond to the command previously given if I switch to another Loco and issue it a seperate command. 
I have reset the Select numerous times.

I've read sending the Select to Hornby for a firmware update can solve issues, however can anyone tell me what firmware version I am on? At startup, the numbers 20 30 03 appear.

At startup, the numbers 20 30 03 appear.

Your Select is the very latest model with the new case and has version 2.0 firmware installed. Version 2.0 is an exact copy technically to version 1.6 firmware, which is why the documentation provided with the Select will mention 1.6 if it is mentioned at all.

This firmware version has full support for Hornby TTS fitted locomotives, so your described issues are unlikely to be related to the Select firmware, unless there was an obscure fault (unlikely if your other locos all run fine).

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe a 'long press' of the STOP button is the same as switching off the power at the wall. As a 'short press' leaves track power connected and just sends a broadcast 'all stop' DCC command, not much use if the loco decoders are not responding to DCC commands.

There is one thing to check that can definitely cause the issues you have described and that is if you have used 'DC Analogue' track power connectors. Now your Mixed Traffic set should have DCC versions of the track power connector, but there is forum evidence to suggest that some Hornby digital sets have left the factory with the wrong Analogue version connector included in the set.

TTS decoders seem to be particularly sensitive to these capacitor issues if they are present, not so much with normal non sound decoders.

There is an easy way to check.

Flip open the cover to look for a suppression capacitor (see image below). Remove any capacitor that you find. Note that these capacitors are also fitted in R8201 Link Wire connectors as well. So open and check any and all track connectors that you have installed on your layout. It only takes one capacitor to be over-looked.

/media/tinymce_upload/a5855ce05640eba665273d9ed850ec43.jpg

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

Particularly as my reply includes an image, using the 'Blue Button' may result in your reply being held back for image approval, even though it is an existing image.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

As you say they are OK until you reach a certain point with your track modifications then I think you have answered your own question.

Post a picture or sketch of your track at the point before and after the problem arises.

Hello, So while this forum didn't allow me to post again, I figured out my problem. I had to place DCC Point clips onto each point. Now everything works smoothly. Rookie mistake :) Cheers.

Glad to hear that your issue is resolved. But strangely your solution does not seem to fit in with what one would expect to see as your observed reported issue. Not to worry though, if its working ... its working ... thats all that matters.