CV Value reading all wrong

DistantSignal

I'm new and trying out a Hornby loco with TTS.  I'm using an NCE Power Cab for control.  If I try and read my CV values nothing much seems to line up with the default values they should be set at.  For instance, sound CV's are in the range 160-178 - and all should be set at 4 as default.  But they are not, some are 004, many are 015, or "Cannot read CV" etc.  I'm using "Use Program Track".  The same CV's aways either work (return a value) or come back as "Cannot read CV" - which suggests to me that it's not a pick up problem.

I've checked with my supplier that I'm doing everything right - he says "yes".  I've checked with Hornby to see that I haven't got the wrong sound decoder manual (in case sound CV range differs from 160-178) and they say that Hornby only use the 160 range.

The loco control and sound functions all work as they should with the NCE Power Cab in ordinary operation.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!

Not having a Power Cab I have had to speed read the manual for it.

Please confirm which programming option you are using:

Programming on the Main - in which case whilst you can write values to CVs you cannot read them back.

Programming Track - in which case the Power Cab will attempt to choose the correct programming Mode.

Direct Mode is preferred and can be forced via a programming menu option. TTS decoders support Direct Mode programming.

Programming in Direct Mode allows you to both Read and Write CV values.

I hope this helps.

Excellent, it all worked.  Forcing the Power Cab to work in Direct Mode fixed the problem.  Found an explanation of Paged v Direct in DCCWiki.com - so got some appreciation of the issue as well.

I was working in Programme Track mode.

Very many thanks.

Good to hear that sorted the problem for you. The information is all there, its just a case of digging it out and soaking it up, which at times is not easy, especially with some of the Chinglish instructions we get with kit these days.