R8216 vs R8247 Accessory Decoder addressing with Select

Guest Chrissaf

Ihave just started my loft layout. I have layed track and wired track for DCC. this is working fine with my Select controller. The problem I have got are my point decoders. After my attempts I have managed to get an old points decoder to work [R8216] .but I can only get all ports to work if I programe to number 60 and not 61 as stated in instructions. But when I programe another points decoder [R8247] I get no response from my points [R8247]. Any ideas please yhank you

I strongly suspect that you have a very early firmware version installed on your Select ... either version 1.0 or 1.1

This firmware was released to work with the R8216 with point numbering starting at 60. The 1.0 / 1.1 firmware was released prior to the launch of the R8247.

The R8216 has many issues and is obsolete in favour of the R8247 replacement. When the R8247 was released the Select firmware was updated to version 1.2 to better support the new R8247. This firmware update means that the R8247 has to be addressed from 61 and not 60 as before.

Thus there is a fundamental difference in the way that the R8216 and the R8247 handle point addressing. Particularly with the early Select firmwares.

Other differences between the R8216 and the R8247 are:

• The R8216 needs 'pre-charging' on the main track before attempting to configure it (not a requirement when using a Select as the Select programmes on the main track by default).
  • The R8216 has a non adjustable pulse width set at 100 milliseconds.
  • The R8216 does not support an 'always on' configuration.
  • CVs can not be read on a R8216

You can confirm what firmware your Select has by watching the LCD screen as you power it up. The very first number to appear briefly on screen will be the firmware version. Expect to see a number between 10 and 20.

10 is version 1.0 .......... 11 is version 1.1 .......... 15 is version 1.5 etc

If your firmware is 10 or 11 then in order to get better support for the R8247 I recommend that you invoke the 'Return to Hornby' firmware upgrade process. In fact I would still get the firmware upgraded if the installed firmware is any version less than 15 [1.5].

The cost of the upgrade is £15 + VAT (£18) plus your sending postage costs. You need to obtain a 'Returns Number' from Hornby Customer Services ... follow the 'Contact Us' link at the very bottom of the web page.

Currently, any upgrade request will result with the Select being returned with version 16 [1.6] firmware. This will totally transform the user experience of the Select. Version 1.5 (which is also part of version release 1.6) adds full support for the current 29 functions F0 to F28 and version 1.6 adds the ability to write to all the decoder CVs ... this is something that previous Selects just could not do. So the upgrade is worth the cost of it just for that alone.

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

The R8216 should be programmed in Reg Mode and cannot be read back, so any address you give it can only be confirmed by operating the point. The best option is to get the Select updated.

You should also read this about a bug in the Select firmware at v1.1 that affects R8247, so when you contact Hornby to return your Sleect for updating tell them you have been using R8247 and think it may be damaged as a result of the bug. They should suggest you return that as well.

http://www.halton96th.org.uk/page16.html    -   Scroll down to Known Faults.