Programmable Floating keys

I am fairly familiar with Railmaster having used it for a number of years. I thought I would use the programmable floating keys by double clicking on the logo at the bottom of the page. However nother happens. I thought it might be somewhere else on the page but there is nothing there. I have also tried Alt+M. Any suggestions? I am using a modrn Acer laptop with Windows 10.

Hello David,

Do you not see the floating button bar when you double-click the RM Logo at the bottom left of the main window? This is what you should see  ...

/media/tinymce_upload/17d8347911899500645e053a518178f1.png

When you then click the + symbol, the window opens up to allow you to configure the buttons.

If this doesn't happen, there is a possiblity that the button bar is there, but it has been accidentally moved off the screen. To check this, close down RM and look for a file in the railmaster folder called Buttons.dat. Examine the contents of the file using windows notepad. If either of the two numbers is negative, that means it is being displayed off-screen. If you change the two numbers in the file to 1180 and 1885 respectively, this will bring it back onto the screen. HOWEVER, to do this with notepad, you will need to run Notepad "as administrator", otherwise windows won't allow you to save the amended file. If you change to the values I have quoted, the button bar should re-appear at the top left of the main window like this ...

/media/tinymce_upload/001082a9a4fb8ece8478b2263f53e66b.png

Hope this helps

Ray

Many thanks for your help. The numbers in the notepad were -630 and 5110. I have changed them to 1180 and 1885 as you suggest and the button bar has how appeared albeit at the bottom of the screen. That doesn't matter as at least it is floating! Many thanks for your help.

David

Thank you for the correction WW.

Running programs under ProPack does seem to me to be the best use for this button feature. Although I can see setting 'routes' available in 'standard edition' could be useful.

You haven't actually said, so I have to ask the obvious.....

Have you paid for and activated a PRO pack upgrade license?

This feature is only available in the RailMasterPro edition.

/media/tinymce_upload/007aa129b24c8000f22930329f63ca89.jpg

Hornby have omitted to mention this on Page 107 of the manual, which is the manual page that you have probably been reading.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: As a result of a later post made by @westernwill further below. I have added this edit to correct this reply and point out that it is only allocating a RM 'Program' as a 'Floating Button' that is specific to RailMasterPro pack. The RM 'Standard Edition' also has the option of 'Floating Buttons' but limited in what they can be configured to do as described on Page 109 of the RM 1.72 manual.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

Particularly as my reply includes an image, using the 'Blue Button' may result in your reply being held back for image approval, even though it is an existing image.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

I have raised the following issue with HRMS via the Railmaster help request system ....

"I am raising this as the result of a problem encountered by a Hornby RM Forum poster under the heading "Programmable Floating Keys". It is possible to accidentally drag the Floating Button Bar off the screen, making it impossible to access thereafter. The symptoms of this are if the file buttons.dat ends up with x,y values which map to a position ouside the boundaries of the screen e.g. negative values or large positive values. Could a check be made on the end position of this window when it is dragged to ensure that the values recorded in buttons.dat lie within the main screen area?"

Ray