Javelin Taillights Issue [DCC controlled]

Guest Chrissaf

Hello all,

when I run this train I am unabe to get red tailllights on the non motorised unit.When I reverse the train the red taillights on the motorised unit works fine. All other lights are working in the normal way.I changed the decoder just in case but the problem persists.Any suggestions would be much appreciated.Train does not seem to run very fast also.

Thank you from mistydog

Have you put a function only (or equivalent) decoder in the rear dummy car. These double ended train packs usually use two decoders because there are no inter-coach wires to connect the rear dummy motor car to the decoder in the front motor car.

Speed is a subjective observation. What seems slow to you, might seem normal to others. For realism, trains are not meant to hurtle along, thus 'DCC Fitted' trains do in the main tend to run slower than 'DCC Ready' trains.

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

I have one of these and I remember having to fit two decoders, the same as the Pendolino.I assume on the dummy end the headlights work when it is driving in that direction. From that it sounds like the wire on pin 2 of the dummy end's DCC 8 pin socket is not connected. So either the wire has fell off or there is a break in the wire to the red leds. I think if I remember rightly it was a PCB so check the soldered joints on the DCC decoder socket.. It is either that or the red leds are not getting the supply fom pin 7. If Hornby have put the red leds in series with each other (not a good idea but you never know), if one of them has failed the other wouldn't work, but I am pretty sure Hornby would feed them separately. A function only decoder makes no difference in the dummy, you are only driving a port either way (function in DCC terms, port in electronics terms) and you would be mad to use a function decoder because they are no cheaper than normal decoders and it doesn't fit into the 8 pin socket. 

I only mentioned a 'function' decoder on the basis that standard motor decoders more often than not need a motor load attached to accept programming commands. I was looking at it from the perspective as to what would be the easiest type of decoder to fit and program for the OP.

In my Bachmann DMU  I used a normal 8 pin LaisDCC decoder in the dummy end, it was cheap and was just a header. These decoders are not very good if they lose the signal, but as a light switcher they are perfect although on some occasions the decoder has got confused and thought it was going in the opposite direction and switched the lights accordingly.

I would have used them in the Javelin, but they don't seem to making that type at the moment. It seems such a waste to use a decent decoder to just switch on the lights.

Mistydog, while Chris and Colin discuss decoder merits, can we check that you actually have a decoder of any type in the dummy car to run the lights. The implication is that you have as you say the only lights not working are the red tail lights, everything else is working. That implies in reverse, headlights are working in the dummy car. Is that correct or not?  If the answer is yes, there must be a decoder in there, if no, there isn't it seems.

So could you confirm which please?

Hello all , many thanks for your replies. Dear fishmanoz .I do have a decoder ( Hornby ) in the the dummy car.

I can confirm that the headlights work in the dummy car.Any further advcie would be appreciated.

You could try switching your decoders around between power and dummy cars. Having done this, do you now have the lighting fault in the power car, or has it stayed in the dummy car?

Good idea.I will give this a try.thanks again.

As I said before, it is probably not connected, a break in a track or poorly soldered joint. It has been said that  another decoder has been put in, but no joy. Now unless the dummy car is  blowing up that channel every time a decoder is put in (doubt it as the decoder would probably die), my suspicion is there is a break in the wiring. If the headlights come on on both ends with the direction of travel, therefore the decoder is working