CMX Track Cleaner

Big Alan

Sharge Track Cleaners copy very closely the design of the CMX. They are steel instead of brass and are lighter. But crucially they are readily available in the UK and cheaper than the CMX as well. My friend uses a CMX whilst I use the Sharge. They both perform equally well. The Sharge has the added benefit of natively fitted narrow 'Tension Lock' couplings.

https://www.model-trainstrack-cleaner.co.uk/product-category/00-gauge-track-cleaners/

If you go to the 00 Gauge ESSO version then click on the Reviews tab. You will find my detailed review of the product from 2016 under the name Chris S.

If you search the forum 'post contents' for the term Sharge, you will get 4 pages of hits ... all positive comments.

Prices have gone up in the last four years, but I believe Sharge still undercuts the CMX average price by a considerable amount ... about 40% ... I paid £59 for the Sharge when I bought mine.

Thanks Chris, I'll order one.I did notice on their website that they tell you not to use 99% Isopropyl as it may damage the paintwork on the wagon. They offer their own Isopropyl which is 71%, so for those not in the know and have like me 99% Isopropyl, you can dilute Isopropyl with water to get it down to 71% : 29% What strenght are you using Chris?

I use 99.9% IPA in my Sharge Track Cleaner. I believe that the lesser strength IPA has a water content, which is best avoided.

I actually painted my wagon so it was a bit more in keeping with the layout, rather than the bright colour it came in originally. It works well.

Bulleidboy, I have taken the following from Sharge's Website:

Our track cleaning product is 71% Isopropanol and NOT pure Isopropanol. The use of pure 99.9% Iso could damage the paintwork on the Track Cleaner.I have the 99.9% stuff and will just water it down and see how it goes.

I have got the Dapol one, good idea but they miss the fundamental issue. If the track is dirty there is very little chance of the device picking up power to clean the track, I did try putting a battery in so if it lost power it would run on the battery. Unfortunately, although the PP9 drove the motor to clean the tracks "stand alone" it did not have enough power to drive it under load. It is back to the drawing board.