Track Part Numbers, Old and New

Big Alan

Why did Hornby replace some of their Track Part Numbers?

I think R600, R601, R603 have remained the same thoughout, yet R632 a 'Y' Point is now R8076 and I think that their are a few others.

If the original number was a steel rail and the new number is Nickel Silver why not keep the old number with the addition of 'NS' after, as in, R632NS.

I was looking at some plans in the 6th Edition of Track Plans and all these odd numbers have popped up, hence the question.

And while I'm on it, whats the difference between R612 & R8072, R613 & R8073, all 168mm turnouts?

Hiya

Well Track Plans is now on Edition 14!!!

R600 = Straight Track

R601 = Double Straight

R603 = Long Straight

Yes looks like R632 has changed to  R8076

Also on the same topic - about same numbers being kept - have a read about my Colour Light Signls

/media/tinymce_upload/756173ee1cb8cfeefaffddedf2e86472.JPG

You can see why the number has changed - the design has also changed - The R612 is manual & the R8072 is manual / automatic (if you connected up to a Point Motor (R8014)) & the same for R613 & R8073. Once the design of the track change - they normally change the number aswell. R612 was made in Austria & R8072 is made in China.

I have found that with my R612 - it still works - but not as good b/c with the 'centre rail'??? which it the bit which dirverts the Loco either left or straight on - it does not touch the outer rail very good - so the Loco stops - it's ok for use in sidings but not ok for use on the Main Line!!!

If you take a look at my video - you will see why I had to change it...