Hattons DCC Decoders

Guest Chrissaf

I have been converted a few of my old ringfield based locos to DCC. My latest a Princess Elizabeth, I had added a 5 pole motor and fitted a Hornby 8 pin DCC decoder. Happy worked on my piece of test track but when I put it on the main track went to the third point and the decoder burnt out. I suspect the loco stalled on the point (issue with pony truck wheel spacing) and the stall current was greater than the device could manage (it should not have, the stall current is about 450 milliamps, but that is probably a different story). Anyway this morning I started searching for a decoder that is cheap with a high current limit. Surprisingly, the Hattons one has a current limit of twice the Hornby but is the same price. On their site, it says that their decoders do not work with Hornby products. I have one Hornby loco fitted with a Hattons decoder, which works perfectly as far as I can see with my Hornby Elite. I even went as far as putting it into programming mode to see if I could read its id, which I can. So why the warning?

So why the warning?

Probably because there are an awful lot of 'users' out there doing things on the cheap. Therefore they probably have Hornby 'Select' controllers. There are a vast number of Selects still with 1.0 - 1.3 firmware. It is in the main these early firmwares that have issues with the Hattons decoders. This is not so much of an issue with Elite and eLink because these products are more likely to have current firmware revisions due to the ability to upgrade them DIY at home.

Hattons are erring on the cautious side to blame all Hornby controllers as having issues with their decoders. It just saves them a whole load of hassle dealing with 'your decoder doesn't work with my Hornby controller' returns. And not researching with their decoder customers the details of what controllers and firmware revisions are actually affected.

This discussion has been raised before and my reply just paraphrases in principle the replies given previously by Rob (RAF96).

I bought five Hattons 8-pin deocders, and I have not tried them all, but the first two, I programmed without any hassle. However the loco would only ran forwards. My Elite is at level 1.45.  I threw them into the spares box and fitted a TCS decoder. I can't understand why there should be any problems with an item that is (supposedly!) NMRA compliant. BB

A declaration of ‘Compliant’ by a trader means it is (supposedly) designed to comply with the NMRA rules and regs. Doesn’t guarantee that it would pass If tested.

Compliance

NMRA has had a Self-Certification program since 2006. The manufacturer is allowed to fill in the forms provided below, sign them and submit them to NMRA for a Conformance Warrant number. NMRA reserves the right to test the product at any time to ensure the product continues to conform to the NMRA Standards.

A declaration of ‘Conformance’’ by a trader backed up by the display of the NMRA logo means it has been tested by NMRA and given a Certicate of Conformance.

Conformance

Upon official Inspection by NMRA, those items found to be in Conformance to all NMRA STANDARDS, applicable NMRA RECOMMENDED PRACTICES, and industry quality metrics, may be recognized by the display of the Conformance/Inspection Seal of NMRA in their advertisements and on-their packages as authorized by the Certificate of such Conformance awarded their manufacturer.

A BIG difference at day’s end