CV 5 (Max speed) adjustment of R 8249

minoo

Dear Hornby Customer Care and all you helpful guys,
Since CV 5 cannot be set directly on R 8249 decoder, will it have any effect on the decoder if we set the speed curve values from CV 67 to CV 94 from a certain low value to a certain high value.
For

example if the factory set value of the curve is say (CV67) 6 to (CV94) 200, then by reducing the CV 94 value to say 100 and recalculating the mid values of CV 68 to CV 93 and adjusting them accordingly.
I have tried this in the F****man twin decoder and

was succesful in reducing the top speed and getting a good curve.
Maybe you can try it out and let me know. Awaiting your replies.
Regards,
Minoo

Dear Flashbang and Greg,

Thanks for your support. The reason why I wanted HCC to reply is since it is a HORNBY brand decoder, they should be able to provide me with a technically correct reply.

I did try yesterday evening and as rightly mentioned

by both of you, I could not read the CVs 5 and from 67 to 94. It is sad that Hornby has this chip which I feel is totally useless. Even the acceleration and deceleration does not wrk properly in absence of speed steps.

Regards,

minoo

minoo,
The 8249 is not useless... it is just a basic and inexpensive decoder. I have some in my locos and they work very reliably.

Hornby has tried to hit a low price point so that the dcc products are widely accessible. Overall I think that

they have done a pretty good job.

There are more sophisticated decoders available including the 8245 and you should use these when you need the extra capabilities.

Archived