Thunderstorms affecting DCC

Throppers

Hi all

I was just testing a Hornby Black 5 with a TTS decoder I just installed this afternoon and all was going well, until I made a change to a CV at the exact same time as a thunder clap. Now, the sounds still work and it chuffs but no power is being sent to the motor. I have reset the decoder a couple of times but still the same. 
Anyone know if lightening can affect DCC?

Thanks

Hi

Unlikely, but possible if the strike was very nearby.  Static from yourself is more likely to cause a failure!  TTS are IMO not the best decoders manufactured for all round quality.  They are budget decoders.

Return to supplier as faulty or to Hornby for free replacement, assuming its new.

It's strange you mention this. The other day we had a violent downpour accompaniedby hail and thunder. About an hour later I went to look at my weather station display and found the outside temp and humidy display were not showing. I looked at the outside remote unit and found it was very wet but it has been wet before with no problems. I brought it inside and went through the reset procedure but no way would it display on the main unit, it did on its repeater display. I opened it up to check for wet inside but non, no apparent burnt out components, fitted new batteries. Tried the following day but no go even after 3 attempts. It was a 18 years old. Decide to buy a new station. That arrived a week latter and worked straight out of the box. Just as a check I tried the old one again and yes you guessed it that spring into life.