Unable to set address for new loco.

geejbee

Good afternoon everyone

As the title suggests I seem to be unable to get a new loco and decoder to accept  an address. Everytime I try, the final press on "select" gives me 8 flashes of the red light. I have tried several times, tried a different address, and tried a controller reset. The track is clear of other locos and there is nothing else connected  to the controller.

This is the second new loco and decoder I have tried both with the same result which suggests to me its an issue with the Select itself. My two other locos are fine and I can change their addresses without problem.

As ever, any help gratefully received.

Both the questions below need answering to progress your question further.

1. What decoder brand and preferably model is giving the issue?
  2. What is the firmware revision level of your Select?

The current installed firmware is displayed as the very first number to briefly appear on the Select screen as it is being powered up. Expect to see a number between 10 and 20. At the time of writing, the latest version is 1.6 [16] or 2.0 [20] - both the same. These latest versions completely transform the user experience of the Select controller and add the ability to write (not read) all CVs.

The upgrade charge is typically £15 plus VAT [£18] plus your sending postage costs. You need to get a 'returns number' from Hornby Customer Services - see 'Contact Us' link at the very bottom of the page.

Hello Chrissaf

Thanks for your response.

The first decoder was a hornby, this was replaced with a gaugemaster Dcc 29 omni.

The first number to appear on the select is 12 followed by 30 then 03.

The loco(s) are Hornby Tornados.

You need to get your Select updated as Chris says. Each time Hornby puts out an update it improves the way various makes of decoder are handled.

You say you think it is the Select at fault but then you say you can program other decoders without problem, suggesting there is nothing wrong with it.

DCC 29 OMNIs have come up before. The common link with the issues reported with these decoders seems to consistently be early firmware versions. Firmware 1.2 is now very old.

Note that you must have a 'returns number' from Hornby Customer Services. No 'returns number' and the product will just be sent back to you untouched. Note also, that the 'repairs' department is currently closed during Covid lockdown. So you may not be able to get your Select updated until that situation changes. The full announcement text can be read here.