Can you alter cv5 on a r8249 decoder using a hornby select controler

Kirkfish

Hi I've recently replaced the motor in my Lima bubble car motor with 1 of strathpeffer junctions 6 volt can motors.ive installed voltage droppers as per there instructions.Trouble  is there is no motor control even on speed step 1 the loco goes full pelt.ive tried adjusting cv5 to135 per there instructions with my select controler but no luck.ive straight swapped decoders with a hornby saphire out of another loco and it runs perfectly fine.any suggestions as I can't leave them like that as the saphire belongs in a 21 pin loco and seem to be no longer produced.tia

You can’t alter CV5 on an R8249 decoder with any controler. It is not a supported CV.

PS - I have deleted all the duplicate posts you put up by pressing the send button time after time.

...which runs perfectly with the 6v motor as is and without adjustment.

I doubt that there are any that are 6 volt 'ready to run'. The standard DCC spec is for 12 volt motors.

It is just not a case of obtaining a decoder brand / model that has the necessary CV adjustment capability. You also need a controller capable of writing to the CVs [Configuration Variables]. The Select controller can only write 'freeform' to CVs, if it has firmware version 1.6 or above.

The current installed firmware is displayed as the very first number to briefly appear on the Select screen as it is being powered up. Expect to see a number between 10 and 20. At the time of writing, the latest version is 1.6 [16] or 2.0 [20] - both the same. These latest versions completely transform the user experience of the Select controller and add the ability to write (not read) all CVs.

The upgrade charge is typically £15 plus VAT [£18] plus your sending postage costs. You need to get a 'returns number' from Hornby Customer Services - see 'Contact Us' link at the very bottom of the page. Note that at the time of writing, the Hornby upgrade department may be closed due to Covid lockdown.

If you do arrange to get your Select firmware upgraded, then you will need both the Select version 1.5 full manual and the version 1.6 addendum manual. As the operation of your Select (how to use it) will be completely different in certain areas of operation compared to your current 1.1 firmware version.

You can download these two manual PDFs from here:

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/downloads/view/index/cat/12/

If nothing appears to happen, check your nominated browser download folder for the files as they can download silently in the background.

Thanks for that I've had my select upgraded to v1.6 already.i was just trying to keep some of my old locos running on my new dcc layout.would I be better upgrading to the elite as I've been told only hornby decoder work ok with the select.T I A

You have been misinformed.

Select and non Hornby branded decoders is only potentially an issue with Select version 1.0 - 1.2 firmware. Since you have 1.6 firmware, decoder compatibility issues are now not something to be too concerned about.