BASINGSTOKE 1958-67 (87ft x 25ft)

BASINGSTOKE 1958-67 - Locos in the area.

ABOVE: A Bachmann Class 03 0-6-0 204hp Diesel Mechanical shunting loco. Seen coupled to one of my Ratio kit built Southern Maunsell "Van C" parcels, luggage & newspaper vans. now make a RTR version of the "Van C", and these vans could be found the length & breadth of the UK, so are suitable on any period layout.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BASINGSTOKE 1958-67 - Progress on the Locoshed area.OVE: It's that Black diesel again, and now revealed as one of the three Bulleid prototypes of the early 1950's. This is a Silver Fox body kit, on a Bachmann class 45 chassis. As the Locoshed itself cannot be fixed to the baseboard, in case of a derailment inside. Here you can see the 4mm dia' brass tubes used to te the shed, each fitted inside one corner of the uilding.

BASINGSTOKE 1958-67 - Progress in the Locoshed area.

ABOVE: The back in position to test the locating pins seen in the previous picture. Staring at us through the doorways are (L to R) a T9 4-4-0; A BR Britannia 4-6-2; & a Bachmann BR Class 5 4-6-0. All showing various route headcodes commonly seen at Basingstoke.

ABOVE: It's a bit gloomy inside this 3ft long 3 track scratchbuilt locoshed. So to help the shed operator see what is lurking inside I have built this gantry from bent rail, and mounted a number of 1.5v tiny's on it. There is also now a sponge "buffer stop" (extreme left) to try and stop derailments ! The shed simply slides over this lighting rig, which is built the centre track.

ABOVE: Looking in through the rear windows of the locoshed, can be seen some of the little yellow 1.5v LED's. This shed was hit on a least two occasions during WW2 by German Luftwaffe bombers, which destroyed the shed roof. As rebuilt they omitted theaking it even darker inside.....

ABOVE: A view inside the shed through the main entrance doors. The rail built rig for the lighting is now revealed over the centre track. The little LED's are just bright enough to reveal any locos hidden inside, which also allows viewers a glimpse, if they are standing at the end of the layout some 15ft away.

ABOVE: An aerial view of the shed, with a few locos, including a Class 45 1-Co-Co-1 diesel to the right under the "sheer legs". This shot also reveals further progress with point , which is now spreading to link up the four mainline tracks to the right, and includes the first of number of single slips. The pic taken on 16th February, so there is yet more progress to reveal.....

ABOVE: A closer view of the single slip, metioned in th previus picture. The tracks meioned in the picture help reveal that this single slip will be part of a long crossover. This will connect all the trks maked in the picture, and allow locos to reach the n Freight yard, via three more single slips and a couple of points.

BASINGSTOKE - Progress in the Locoshed area.

ABOVE: As a prelude to the net Post which will deal with progress wiring the shed up. We can see here, one of my 0 Bulleid Pacifics on the turntable. This moter being rebuilt Merchant Navy 35026 "Laort & Holt Line", and a dirty one it is. Having reived a good weathering, along with a number of modifications including the mising cab to tender roof, and a litle real coal in the bunker.

BASINGSTOKE 1958-67 - Main Fiddle Yard & Third Rail !

ABOVE: This is the man Fiddle yard where track layng has finally been completed at the end nearest. It has to include at least one crosover between the Up & Don lins, to allow for reversing certain trains such as EMU's & the Bournemouth Belle. Each of the our mainline tracks has six sidings, each long enough to accommodate 1 coach exress or two shorter trains.

ABOE: Another angle on the copleted "Country end" of the Min 2 track Fiddle Yard.

The roblem at ths end was devising the scenery to cope with all the pontwork which has stretched a littlefurther tan planned. The enrance to the Fddle Yard will have to ulise a number of tunnel mouths, and the resultant hillsdes will have to extend to coer some at least of the poitwork.

ABOVE: An Bachmann 8EP formaton of EMU's, proceedin ginerly over the newly laid Third Rail, to esure their (plastic) third rails shoes don't quite touch the rail. This loation i my revised vrsion of Wrting Junction, which has now been wired up, and ballasted. Thse uts interestingly give a very reaistic sond clatering through this juncion.

ABOVE: Now minus the train, the third rail should be just vible. The rail usd is Peco code 0 rail, soldered to Peco brass nails, in the end of everyth sleeper. The nails allow adjustmnt of the height. The remmended Peco pstic 3rd rail "china" pots, are I foud useless, as they getdamgedevery time you cean the trck, hence the brass nails.

BASINGSTOKE 1958-67 - "Fruit salad" or Cocktail of latest pics.

ABOVE: Another collection of loos outside the shed, just before wiring up the Locoshed area bgan about a week ago. Promnent is a Bachann Clas 4 diesel, which appeared on Inter-Regional trins from the Mdlands from around 194, occasially at Basitoke.

BASINGSTOKE 1958-67 - "Fruit salad" or Cocktail of latest pics.

ABOVE: Hornby Schools "V" Class 4-40 No:3098 "Wesnster" on the tuntable, just before it got ploned out of the way to allow wiing of the tutable. I have four of these "V" cass Hornby modes, and as they have traction tyes, they will pull 1/14 oaches up 1 in 100 gradients stright out of the packet.....

@pd91223

The missing pictures are the historical pictures that Duke posted PRIOR to the forum transfer. All historical images in ALL historical posts and threads have not yet been transferred over yet as part of the forum move. There is a Hornby 'notice' placed at the top of the forum home page describing this if you look. Any images that you see in this whole thread are ones that Duke has added AFTER the new forum went live.

Regarding typos, any that you see will be original and probably due to lack of proof reading by Duke.

PS - Every time Duke re-adds a picture to one of his earlier historical posts, then the whole thread gets ranked to the much earlier timestamp of the post that Duke has added that picture to. Hence the 'bumped' replies you see to bring the thread back from history.

EDIT: I have just noticed what your question was referring to. There are indeed some images that Duke has added recently that are now not showing. I have absolutely no idea why. Until the historical image situation is resolved, there is no way to tell if this 27 page thread is fundamentally corrupted or not.

@Chrissaf

All pictures on all pages of this thread have now disappeared apart from those in the repeated message at the top of every page and some odd ones on pages 10, 11 & 24!

Also, the Reply box now automatically contains the # of the page of the thread you're on! Weird.

Paul

PS No need to reply to this, just hoping it might help to identify the problem(s). Don't hesitate to delete both of my messages here today.

Moderator message: Just to say that these issues have all been spotted too by mods, including the new one of the page number now appearing in the reply box. Developer work is ongoing and fluid.

• 3 months later...

I assume Duke has given up with this thread because of the problem with pictures. Is there any sign from Hornby or the website developers that this issue will get fixed anytime soon? If not, a great shame because it was fascinating to watch the layout developing.

The mods chased Hornby with regard 'historic images' in the last week of June. Still no feedback news from that chasing as to current status. It transpires as far as we have been told that there are significant technical issues to overcome. Although the forum looks similar to the old forum it is a completely different software code and file structure in the way that images are handled.

Jimbo,

Moderators have no access to any form of direct 'private messaging' from within the forum software. So I have no contact with Duke other than what he chooses to post publicly on the forum. I cannot speak for what any of the other mods might have done in terms of making contact through other means during his absence, but they have not made any comments to me regarding any further contact with Duke behind the scenes.