A4 Reverse TTS problem

knonks

Seems to be a common report with these TTS decoders, and the R8107 TTS seems to come up more often than the others. Suggest you send it back for replacement. But the sellers replacement may come from the same faulty batch. So suggest you get a refund and buy again elsewhere.

However, you have not told us what controller you are using. If you are using Hornby Select with early firmware, then the issue may not be the decoder, but the early Select firmware instead. Early being version less than 1.5.

The current installed firmware is displayed as the very first number to briefly appear on the Select screen as it is being powered up. Expect to see a number between 10 and 20. At the time of writing, the latest version is 1.6 [16] or 2.0 [20] - both the same. These latest versions completely transform the user experience of the Select controller and add the ability to write (not read) all CVs.

The upgrade charge is typically £15 plus VAT [£18] plus your sending postage costs. You need to get a 'returns number' from Hornby Customer Services - see 'Contact Us' link at the very bottom of the page.

If you do arrange to get your Select firmware upgraded, then you will need both the Select version 1.5 full manual and the version 1.6 addendum manual. As the operation of your Select (how to use it) will be completely different in certain areas of operation compared to your current 1.1 firmware version.

You can download these two manual PDFs from here:

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/downloads/view/index/cat/12/

If nothing appears to happen, check your nominated browser download folder for the files as they can download silently in the background.

Note that at the time of writing, the upgrade department is closed due to Covid but may reopen after 15th June so check with Customer Services.

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

Hi

I have just fitted my A4 with the R8107 TTS Sound Decoder.

Everything works fine in forward motion, sound functions and speed control.

However, in reverse motion it moves off at a fast rate after a few seconds with no control until I shut down and it carries on for several seconds and stops.

The sound functions work in reverse. I have tried a factory reset with no change.

Any ideas please, cv changes required, replacement replacement?.

Regards

Knonks

Further info:

I am using a ZTC Controller. I have had no problems in the past with any sound fitted locos.

I fitted the TTS Sound Decoder to the Hornby Princess on thursday no problem at all.

I have spoke to my retailer and he suggests cv changes but not which ones.

Anybody any ideas.

Regards

Knonks

The TTS decoder is very basic and only has a very limited selection of CVs that are adjustable. Your retailer may not be 100% aware of the TTS limitations and talking in 'general terms'.

As I said, the R8107 A4 TTS comes up a lot on this forum. Here is a recent thread that asked about what CVs were available. You can see the details here:

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/r8107-tts-sound-decoder/?p=1/#post-334704

I have recombined both your threads into this one. Your follow up info is a continuation of the original question and should be kept together in the same thread.

Please read my TIP in my first reply regarding  HOW TO REPLY TO A POST.

I would suggest the decoder is faulty as the suggested CV changes to the motor algorithms will affect both directions. Ask your retailer to replace it. If he baulks at replacement then contact Hornby and ask them to do it because your retailer won’t play ball.