J36 Class TTS issues

Zapper

I've fitted a Hornby TTS sound decoder to my J36 class. It worked fine for a while but suddenly the loco wouldn't move and the sound shuts down. I took the top off the tender and noticed that the TTS chip is very hot, which I'm guessing is why it stopped working.

any ideas as to the cause ?

phil

There is only one technical reason for a decoder to get hot and that is that too much electrical current is being drawn through it.

So the real question that needs to be answered is how much current is the J36 drawing.

The only way to answer that question with any surety is to revert the loco back to DC Analogue operation [remove the TTS decoder] and perform a DC Analogue 'stall test'.

How to perform a 'stall test'.

Reasons why a loco might draw excessive current. If it is an old loco, then the motor magnets might need re-magnetising. Or there may be too much drag in the drive train. Or hauling an excessively heavy load, which might include rolling stock that might be dragging. Going up gradients etc.

PS - Unless a loco is 'DCC Ready', then IMO all locos should be 'stall tested' before fitting a decoder to ensure decoder compatibility.