Class 66 tts sound problem

The Heritage Line

I recently purchased 2 hornby class 66 tts chips R8121, one works fine,
but the other is totally different. The faulty one it starts up with
the various beeps like the original 67 sound on start up but then wont move. None of
my other 66's start up with this sound. then it will just continue
beeping like it is stuck in a loop and after a couple of minutes the power will just go off to the chip abit like a short, then turns on again but with the normal 66 sounds. Hornby told me to do a reset which I did and it works ok, I then discovered that it only has this problem with a long address, in short address mode it works fine, all my other chips work okay with a long address, I have since wrote back and explained that it is in long address mode and cv29 currently has a value of 34 and the loco id is set to id:6622. I have now been asked to add 32 to the value on cv29. Am I being totally thick here or am I missing something? that would give a total value of 66 in cv29! Cv 17 and cv 18 have also been mentioned to get the long address but getting the address isn;t my issue just the sound while it has the long address. any help would be gratefully received. Regards Antony

Whilst you wait for a reply, perhaps you would spend a few minutes reviewing the TIPs in the TIP page link below:

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

Very strange advice Antony. Given you have successfully changed the decoder to a long address, CVs 17 and 18 where that address is stored, must have the correct values. Your value of 34 for CV29 is also correct being set to 128 speed steps (2) and long address (32).  You won't be able to add long address 32 as you'll be trying to set a non-allowed value. 

I'd be pointing this out to HCC and looking to return it under as either faulty or at least needing a decoder firmware upgrade.