Auxiliary power port on the Select controller.

Bighandz

Hi guys, yet another question from the blind newbie.

Hi guys, yet another question from the blind newbie.

If I use the 4 amp power supply with my Select controller can I use the auxiliary power port to power accessory controllers?

if so can I daisy chain the accessory controllers so as to be able to use more than one. Based on my current layout design I need to be able to run 3 accessory controllers.

I know each controller is provided with an individual power clip but I have been advised that these can be unreliable due to vibration.

I know each controller is provided with an individual power clip but I have been advised that these can be unreliable due to vibration.

I did think about running each accessory controller from an individual power track but that Is an expensive remedy.

Any help, support or advice would be greatly appreciated.

any help, support or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Gary 

DCC Accessory decoders (Hornby) run from the track signal, not the Aux output.

With the 4-amp power pack you can run 3 acc decoders without affecting the locos too much as they only use a dribble of power to charge up.

A simple way of hooking them up to avoid extra expense is to run the feed from your Select into a terminal strip and then take feeds to the track and each acc decoder, taking care to match the feed wires A to A and B to B on all connections to avoid any polarity phasing clashes.

Firstly, DCC Accessory Decoders (particularly Hornby ones) are never connected to the AUX output of any DCC Controller. The AUX output of the Hornby Select and Elite controllers are 15 volts DC and not compatible with DCC powered add-ons.

Secondly, your proposed three DCC Accessory Decoders must all be connected to the 'TRACK A&B' output of the DCC Controller in parallel and not in series [your daisy chaining terminology is normally considered as being wired 'in series', not in parallel].

I would normally draw a schematic of how it connects together, but since you are registered blind, I will try to write a picture in words.

In order to make a parallel connection without using track power clips. Just join all five pairs of wires together. The five pairs of wires are:

• The wire pair from the 'TRACK A&B' output of the controller
  • The wire pair that actually connect to the track
  • The wire pair that connect to the Track input of DCC Accessory Decoder number 1
  • The wire pair that connect to the Track input of DCC Accessory Decoder number 2
  • The wire pair that connect to the Track input of DCC Accessory Decoder number 3

• All the A legs of the five pairs connect together.
  • All the B legs of the five pairs connect together.

How you make the connections is up to you. The easiest way is to use an electrical Nylon screw down terminal strip. But if someone else is doing it for you, then the wires could be twisted together and joined by soldering and then insulated with 'heat shrink sleeving' OR soldered to a tag strip where the tags are electrically common.

EDIT: Rob posted his reply whilst I was typing mine.