Trains in Hercule Poirot

Pirlouit95

Good evening everyone.

I am a fan of Hercule Poirot who is Belgian like me.

Especially the series with David Suchet. It is extraordinary.

In fact, with Mrs. Pirlouit, we like English police series like Poirot, Barnaby, Inspector Lewis, Miss Marple, ...

We love the landscapes of the English countryside, the small villages with their pubs, their cottages, their gardens, ...

And of course, I have a weakness for the episodes where old trains appear.

So we come to the subject of this article: the trains in Hercule Poirot.

In the episode "Le Mystère des Cornouailles" (Sorry, I don't know the original title), there is this locomotive:

img_2621.jpg

img_2622.jpg

These photos are taken directly on the TV.

Can you tell me which locomotive it is and if it exists at Hornby?

And also, what are these passenger cars?

img_2623.jpg

img_2624.jpg

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Good night.

I am also a big fan of the quirky detective and his gormless sidekick Hastings. How did he ever make Captain in the Army except by way of a purchased commission.

Found on the internet when searching on ‘...trains in Hercule Poirot...’ obviously a wealth of information available given the right search phrase.

Yes, Great Western Pannier tank locomotive 6412 was based from 1976 on the West Somerset Railway where filming took place in 1989 on Poirot-The Cornish Mystery. Blue Anchor station was renamed Polgarwith for the episode. The loco has been sold to the South Devon Railway at Buckfastleigh, Devon.

Bachmann make a GWR 64XX pannier tank like this one.  Hornby used to make a similar one, but more than 40 years ago, and not up to modern standards.

The coaches are British Railways Mark 1 coaches in chocolate and cream livery.  Hornby have made these pretty recently and they are widely available and good value.  Strictly speaking, they were introduced in the 1950s and are too modern for the period of the film (if that matters to you).  Hornby Collett coaches would be better suited to the Poirot era, I think.

If I knew how to link to another post I'd include a link to the "Poirot-ish" figure I obtained after a little query,

The post is titled "Poirot Suggestion Needed" and has a piccy of the model I ended up choosing.

>> Agatha Christie REALLY Loved trains too.

I am also a big fan of the quirky detective and his gormless sidekick Hastings. How did he ever make Captain in the Army except by way of a purchased commission.

I, too, am a great fan but am always disappointed if I'm watching an episode that doesn't include Captain Hastings. He appeared in nine Poirot novels and plays, narrated several others, is far from gormless, and has shown courage and tenacity on many occasions, acknowledged by Poirot. Given when he first appeared, he is estimated to have been born around 1886. He couldn't, of course, have purchased a commission as the practice was ended in 1871 under the Cardwell reforms. 

Good evening everyone, I found on Google Map, the Blue Archon station, it's like in Hercule Poirot.

In fact, it is a single track line.

But a little further west, there is Dunster station with a few separate tracks. I'm going to have to study the satellite view properly.

These two small stations are really very nice, it could be a diorama or mini network project, perhaps by combining the two stations.

According to the satellite photo, the docks currently measure more than 160 meters (525 feet), which makes in 00, 2.20 meters (7.22 feet). A little big, it will have to be shortened.

Fortunately, I have my friend SCARM.

I will study the matter during my vacation.

Good night.

Hello or should that be Bonjour Pirlouit95

Great Photo  😎 I like the style of the beginning titles of 'Hercule Poirot'!!!

I have 2 of the Green GWR Pannier Tank Locos myself...

/media/tinymce_upload/f38030af83d94d1cd28c5af394747148.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/7f26a4805a69275aa963380521a5fe13.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/93a9f8416c35296570d4d371f6a9d9dc.JPG

The Loco on the left (Inner track) is No. 8751 which I got over a year ago from Chesterfield Market here in the UK & the Loco on the Right (Outter Track) is No. 2733 which came in the GWR Freight set R1254 (

for my Review)

Also I have a static Model of the Pannier Tank Loco from a Magazine called 'Great British Locomotives Collection' -

for more info about it  😀

@peter_stiles

To do a link, 1st find the link that you want to link to - copy it, then write the words 'Click Here' then hight light them 2 words, then the 2 symbals next (left) of the small green tree symbal in the above box the 2 link symbals with now be visable, then click on the 'unbroken' chain, then a small box will appear, you will have 3 lines to fill in top line where is say in the box Link URL - paste in the Link that you had copied earlier, next link click & select Target - Open Link in a new Window, 3rd line is for the Title - just type what ever title you want - then press the Green insert button...SIMPLES  😀