Class 31 causing shorts

Anton Stedman

Hello,

Aplogies if this has already been mentioned, but I couldn't find it anywhere on this forum.

I have a second hand R3592TTS Hornby Class 31 purchased from Hattons which I have been waiting for, for ages, so when one finally came onto the Hattons website in a 'like new' state, I took the chance. 

The problem is that on most of points it is causing a short even at up to half throttle. None of my other locos do this and I think it is to do with the width of the wheel base, if that makes sense?

Could this be the problem, has anyone else had this? 

Thanks in advance 

Anton 

Hello,

Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but I couldn't find it anywhere on this forum.

Search the forum for these following terms:

• Back to Back
  • Back2Back
  • B2B

Hi,

Thank you for the quick reply. Here are 2 of my readings from my digital caliper. Seems a little low to me. They are all in the range of 14.3mm. Am I doing it right?!/media/tinymce_upload/8fdd67648d7f00b688118263032f7d18.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/8802e5331e837003b203c5e28552b897.JPG

If the vernier is accurate, then 0.2mm might not seem a lot, but it can be enough to cause issues. The most accurate way of measuring B2B is to use a purpose made brass gauge like the one in the image below. The gauge can also be a good tool for making it easier to adjust the wheels. Basically you make the wheel B2B wider than 14.5mm, insert the brass 14.5 gauge then close the wheels up against the gauge. It takes some of the trial n error guesswork out of the adjustment process. Most wheels are tight friction fits on the axles, thus some adjustment is possible.

/media/tinymce_upload/7d6af6539fd2651b9708c143e29c5a95.png

In principle one would use one or the other, with in my personal view a preference for the brass gauge. With the vernier being used only if nothing else better was available to use. I find the brass gauge more efficient to use and more accurate. The only downside to the gauge is that subject to specific rolling stock designs, access for the gauge can sometimes be problematic, sometimes needing parts of the chassis removed for gauge access.