R2235G CLASS 56 DCC Conversion (Lighting).Help needed please.

MRMRMICK

I am Just starting out on DCC conversion of some of my locos and up to now have had no problems. i am in the process of converting R2235G class 56 a NON DCC ready version.. I have converted the loco which runs well but the lighting does not work, i have followed the hornby wiring instructions for the lighting. Using an R8249 Decoder,i have commoned the black wires from the original fitted bulbs and connected to the blue decoder cable. The red wire from the front bulb i have connected to the white wire of the decoder and the red wire from the  rear bulb i have connected to the yellow wire of the decoder. As far as i can see every wire has been connected correctly, Anybody got any ideas please.

Regards to all  Mick.

I wonder if the current draw from those bulbs is greater than the decoder can handle......the R8249 notes state, for example, " If a motor requires as much as 400mA continuously then the function outputs combined should not exceed 100mA"...........HB

I thought that if you exceeded the function output current on a R8249 it dies. You should really change the bulbs to leds, they are a lot cheaper than decoders. Hopefully, you used a socket, if you did, take out the decoder and put 12 volts across the pins associated with the blue and white wires. I am wondering if Vref (the blue wire) is not a high enough voltage. If you really want to use bulbs, use a Hattons, or Zimo that have a higher current limit.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all who gave me advice on this subject, i now have fully working directional lights on my loco.  One thing i have learned from this , is that it is adviseable to read your operating manuals before blundering in as I did. After an email to Hornby and reading of the operating manual I found out that you have to enable the lighting using Function code F0 on  your controller. All is now well.

Thankyou again,  mrmrmick.