Gradients, Elevated Tracks and Viaducts

Risking repeating a laboured theme, I am a great fan of the above and wonder how many other people share this liking and what are their views of including them on their layouts./media/tinymce_upload/452d7d4ff7b29a6a27dd6cd0ad38aa19.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/53df5b4445cc222dbaa7f9005b8e2740.JPG

Mine are much more restrained. 70mm delta from rail top to underside of bridge over 2.4m plus curves.

/media/tinymce_upload/4ab6870df8c4dd34dc1d2dce5cdebc02.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/d15f0834ecfa47417556484c2be70bf3.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/14b9657d03429bc3e3dc6480bc8bfcdc.jpg

You almost see the layout undeneath all the junk laying around.

Thanks for the pictures, Rob. Your "double-decking" of the track is an excellent way of getting more running length in a limited space and adds a lot of interest to the whole layout, I feel.   Conversely, flat, roundy-round layouts can get a bit boring even with some accompanying scenery and buildings.   In that TV series of layout competitions, all the layouts I can remember incorporated multi-level features very expertly.

Compliments on the high quality carpentry !   😎  Your layout is very interesting, and plenty of straight tracks for a good old run.

Thanks Jimbo, the woodwork is all basic stuff with no fancy joints. The upper level supports are simple 38mm square stock cut to length and secured by a screw top and bottom. The transitions from the gradients was expected to be the tricky bit but they were shallow enough not to lift any wheels over the humps.

The tracking has been changed since then despite having planned it to death a dozen times. The crossover on the outer loop on the left hand side long straight has been removed and there is now a crossover on the right hand side lower level in the station. This was to be able to get stuff out of the storage sidings onto a loop with the correct running direction.

I am a fan of folded eight tracks as like you say you get a decent run length and unless you use a flat diamond crossover you have to build bridges.

The slide-in removable bridge section now has some detail but needs more doing to it and the river needs topping up.

/media/tinymce_upload/4f9eacfc42f15b450844c5f00f3af0aa.jpg

Beautifully finished bridge section, complete with 'period' advertisements. I am hoping The Duke will incorporate some elevated sections in his enormous layout.   That would really be something.

I watched the TV episode about the Cantabrian luxury train in N. Spain, rolling along through wonderful mountain scenery. A rake of very wide coaches running on a narrow gauge track !

Beautifully finished bridge section, complete with 'period' advertisements. I am hoping The Duke will incorporate some elevated sections in his enormous layout.   That would really be something.

I watched the TV episode about the Cantabrian luxury train in N. Spain, rolling along through wonderful mountain scenery. A rake of very wide coaches running on a narrow gauge track !

Gradients on Basingstoke.

The gradients on my layout are actually slightly gentler than the real life ones between Worting Junction and Lichfield tunnel. In real life the gradient up to the tunnel was 1 in 90. However this proved too steep for many models to climb with 12-13 coach trains. As obviously I'm re-creating a real life scene to virtual scale.

/media/tinymce_upload/4ca6b436e3bf1dff1d9aebcbd7bb2f87.jpg 

Above. "Battledown Flover", with an Exeter-Waterloo train passing under the Southampton to Waterloo line. The track nearest the camera is the line from Waterloo to Southampton, which starts its climb at 1 in 90, about 100yds to the left and just out of view. 

/media/tinymce_upload/e29cff3f170b0d865ad36341d555107b.jpg

Above: Almost the same angle on my layout as the previous photo. The Hornby West Country steam loco, like the Warship diesel is on banked (Canted) track.

/media/tinymce_upload/a9a3de4995a717547634576572627c4c.jpg

Above: This picture reveals a Hornby 61xx Prairie & coaches, barely a quarter of the way up the 1 in 100 gradient on the (Down) line to Southampton. Immediately to the left of the loco is the Southampton to London (Up) track, which has descended from the tunnel (behind camera), but is now level to go over Battledown flyover, seen in the background. The line to and from Salisbury can clearly be seen going under the flyover.

I therefore eased the gradient to 1 in 100.  On the layout this requires the track to climb 75mm. So it can recross tracks at the original mean (lower) height, inside the hidden Fiddle Yard. But this 1 in 100 gradient required a length of 25ft 6in.

Elevated tracks of the kind seen on the layouts above, were extremely rare in real life. The Liverpool Overhead springs to mind, and of course Metropolitan railways in a number of US cities. But all of these examples are NOT normal railways. The vehicles used on these elevatred systems, had to be designed more like glorified tramcars to allow them tonegotiate gradients and very sharp curves. Trains remember do NOT have a differentail in their axles like road vehicles, so cannot negotiate sharp corners.  

The Duke 71000 

All 1 in 100 means Pirlouit is that the track rises or falls 1 unit in every 100 units, no matter if these units are mm, metres, feet or inches.

2.5 in 100 is obviously 2.5 times steeper or 1 in 40. The general recommendation for model railways is no steeper than 1 in 30, so your Ho gradient limit is not as steep as the general recommendation.

On any layout the maximum gradient depends upon your planned train length and the loco that will pull the load. E.g. The Duke is hauling prototype length trains on his true to life layout gradients whilst Jimbo is running much shorter trains up much less realistic gradients.

@ The Duke 71000

Many thanks for your clarification. I had overlooked the fact that you are modelling real life scenes, which of course, I am not.    As RAF96 mentioned, I am running only short trains up unrealistic gradients  -- just for the fun of it. I would love to have witnessed banking locos on the Lickey Bank !

I very much enjoy your posts, as well as learning new things about both modelling and about the history of the railways. All the best, Jimbo