Hornby Class 66 Sound decoder address not reading 3 from new

blackfive41

I recently bought a Hornby Class 66 TTS sound decoder from my local model shop prior to receiving my Capt Tom Moore.  On checking the address in my ESU decoder checker it read 255 instead of 3 using my Elite.  I reset it to 3 and it will read back at 3.  Should I be worried that the decoder will not work correctly when Capt Tom moore arrives ?  The decoder packaging was unopened when i bought it.

255 means that on that reading attempt, the controller was unable to communicate successfully with the decoder. It does not mean that the address was 255 .... it was almost certainly still at the 03 factory default, but your controller couldn't read it............this [displaying 255] happens a lot.

Thanks for your reply.  It is the first time I have had 255 in response to an address query on my 11 year old Elite version 1.41.    I have had occasionally XXX where the decoder shows no external signs of having become non-working but does not work and I have renewed it.  There must be some difference between the 255 and XXX response.  I suppose decoders have a life expectency just like a light bulb but this is never published.  I also have had instances of decoders of all makes losing their address in spite of them spending most of their time energised on the layout.  Should locos which you rarely use be left on the track on stored in their box to preserve their address ?   

There must be some difference between the 255 and XXX response.

XXX is where the decoder just cannot be electrically detected, whereas 255 is where the decoder is electrically detected but not reponding. Or it is the other way round I can't quite remember. In theory, you should be able to confirm which is which by initiating a CV read task without actually connecting any decoder to the 'prog' terminals to simulate the decoder not being electrically detected.

In addition to the info from Chris, just because a decoder returns XXX or 255 doesn't (usually) mean the decoder is kaput.  Sometimes they will accept reading or writing at a later time or may respond after a decoder reset.  Occasionally a decoder may need resetting 4 or 5 times before it will come back to life.  Other times, adding a bit of weight on top of the loco can help.

You may wish to self update your Elite firmware as it is a bit long in the tooth.

This tells of the improvements from where you are to date....noting TTS bug fix at v1.43 - sound familiar?

Version 1.42 - Dummy car programming wasnt working - fixed. Improved support for Bachmann decoders. Display corruption in Operate mode mode fixed. Support for Select v1.5.

Version 1.43 - Xpressnet response fix from Elite Emergy Stop recovery. Bug fix in TTS decoder programming and reading in service mode. Quicker response with Select in Walkabout mode. Feedback from hand controllers to Elite screen. POM for suitable accessory decoders. 

Version 1.44 - Elite not handling TTS diesel functions F5-F8 correctly - fixed.

Version 1.45 - Elite not handling Sapphire decoder fuel burn utility correctly - fixed.